1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theory of a big spender

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gatorops, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Gatorops

Gatorops Super Cool Bird

this thread is not to accuse or criticize a big money spender but to understand the logic for doing so. At the time of writing this the topic score is 2M plus which would require spending lots of gems which cost money. Assuming no cheating why would someone spends $/€/£100s for a chance for a bird they more than likely already have and have no need for another?...or 1000 golden keys...etc

Epic Buttstomp likes this.
  2. Clown Von Shoes

Clown Von Shoes Super Cool Bird

Status would be my guess. Some people like to be the “best” at what they do. Others have enough disposable income that it might not seem like that much to them.

Different strokes...

Annie14, Tigerangels42038 and A. Wolf like this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

4. Gatorops

Gatorops Super Cool Bird

Thanks Redwing. Enjoyed reading these articles. I still do not get it to spend $100s weekly to be the top player where you only get 30 useless Runes or a bird you more than likely already have. In some of the games in these article you battle against actual people who are trying to out think you or outspend you. In ABE you battle real people’s team but not those peoplle’s Actually game play. Also, if the reward was an unique bird with amazing ability it would not affect anyone.

I see spending here and there to get the event bird to achieve the weekly goals for you and your clan. Makes sense

Epic Buttstomp likes this.
  5. ELLY

ELLY Super Cool Bird

I spend money on games just for personal Satisfaction. I have no desire to be the best or top player. It's just a game, and if we're satisfied with it, there's nothing wrong.
    I've been playing 1-2 hours a day for the last three months, and if I hadn't spent my money, I wouldn't have made a good team. But it's harder for me to spend more time building a good team.
    I think everyone has different important reasons, so I think we should respect it because we have different values about money and time.

6. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

From what I've seen here, early ABE was setting itself up to have the kind of clan enviroment you'd see in a strategy conquest game. Just looking at some of the top 10 clans, some of them still stipulating members, particularly prospective and new ones, earn very high points in arena and events. The current #1 on the event leaderboard expects its members to do 60-100K in events. Probably similar mindsets. One of the interviews, the guy mentioned that the leaderboard does tap into that competitive streak by increasing your awareness that you are competing against other people. Package it as a team thing, and you tap the social side too.

End of the day you and I probably won't ever understand what drives people to spend hundreds, thousands or even millions of dollars on something that is essentially vapour. But then people spend money on other things they enjoy. Some people buy supercars when a regular car would be more practical for getting them from A-B. Comes down to the enjoyment they get from putting money into a hobby or interest and their capacity to so that ultimately shapes their perception. Just going back to the interviews, I think it was the $30K guy that said his f2p account was now actually better value for money in terms of entertainment, since he had nothing left to work towards on his paid one. So spending might also be, for long-term whales, justified as protecting something they built with their time and money.

Annie14 likes this.
  7. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

I think there's nothing worse than that F2P mentality some players get that spending money to play a game you enjoy is a bad thing. Without players who do want to take advantage of what the game's monetization offers them, there simply is no incentive for the developers to continue to build and improve the game.

8. Clown Von Shoes

Well said!!

I grab the small packages that come with the events. The ones where you buy the first two and then the third is “free” I don’t do it all the time, but when I can get gems and the other accoutrements for less than the price of the gems would be in the store I’m all over it.

I benefit and they benefit, since it can’t cost to much to create more electrons they profit and I’m ok with that.

Annie14 likes this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

I'm a bit of a cheapskate - I wait until the package resets to the introductory price. That said, for games I have spent money on in the past, $20 is my lifetime spend limit, since it comes out of the household entertainment budget.

Annie14 and Clown Von Shoes like this.
  10. Clown Von Shoes

I’m not sure what the introductory prices are. I think that’s the ones I get $4.99 and $7.99 for the first round. Then it bumps to something a bit higher. Ends up being 30-40 for both. I stop there.
    Things are worth what you are willing to pay. The time I spend playing versus what I spend still feels like a win to me.

Annie14 and Redwing like this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Yeah, I think the prices are localised. For me the latest starter deals have been $2.75 and $8.75, with 3 and 5 silver, evo and some totems tickets respectively. There's also 300 gems in the free deal on top of the 2000 energy. Once that's bought it goes to $12.99 and around $20.

Annie14 likes this.
  12. Gatorops

Gatorops Super Cool Bird

@Redwing and @Clown Von Shoes this kind of spending from time to time is good for the game makers and the game players. Game developers have to make money or why else do it.

Big spenders might be good for the few big spender's ego and Rovio's wallet, but to the above average players it is self defeating. If one knows that he/she can not compete for the ultimate/rare prize then one does not even try; therefore, stops spending money. But not the point of this tread.

I am just amazed each week to see the top players and their incredible totals. I view daily and multiple times on Sunday just to see the super high numbers. One day I will attempt to try and figure out what the approximate amount of gems spent to get to this final number....but I always find something better to do and have not done so yet.

Monty Topple and Epic Buttstomp like this.
  13. Epic Buttstomp

Epic Buttstomp Motherflocker

For us old timers, remember when the original Flockapoolooza came out? Lil Pecker (cannot remember it was regular or master) was only available if you get to the Top XXX on the leaderboard. I was thinking about it but there was no way to get up there unless you are blowing away plenty of $$. Even if you did that you will likely be blown away by someone along the way.

I wish Rovio will sell prestige totems by themselves. Need some to get 1 bird to P10.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  14. Starman.thc

Starman.thc Super Cool Bird

Early on I spent a lot on this game. I tend to do that with new games I like because I like to make progress; typically faster than I could without spending. It is not hard to justify spending money on these games simply because most of us like to be able to spend money on things we enjoy like movies, concerts, sports, gambling, and tons of other things. This is just one of those things. As for spending to place high on the leaderboards, that is another thing. I don't do that, and really can't afford it (seems quite expensive). I no longer spend anything on this game as a protest to how they treat us.

15. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

From involvement I've had with other games going through the beta process, little spends here and there are nice bonuses for the developers, but they don't pay down the debt incurred to investors and financers as quickly as big spends. Hence monetization, particularly paying to shortcut grind/exponantially increase resources, tends to favour the bigger spenders. At no point does the concept of repeat customer enter into the equation though. As for the spending habits of any game's whales demoralizing the above average free player, it has to be a truly oppressive monetization system, such as the pay2win models a lot of clan war/conquest games use. In those games free players have to be true unicorns to survive and hold their turf. The rest are just food for those willing to pay for every concievable boost to keep their armies running. Rovio, as crappy as they are with value for money, fortunately haven't gone to that extreme. Whatever the top players and clans do, it doesn't have any impact on how the rest of us play the game.

On that point about crappy value for money, I think what influences players' spending patterns more is changes to rewards, resources and monetization (such as deals). One of the common mistakes I've seen developers make is being incredibly generous as they try to build a player base (in some cases, to the point of full in-game credit for everything each update), then cutting resources and value from the game. That tends to lead to a dramatic decrease in spending from older players, since they have past examples to compare to. Ergo, monetization requires a greater influx of new players to pick up the slack. That said, even those kinds of changes aren't the deathknell for a game. Changing the actual game too radically and being totally deaf to the community still seems to drive players away in greater numbers, than the spending habits at the top and percieved value for money from the rest

Like I said earlier, you and I probably won't ever understand what motivates those players, more than just a passing acknowledgement that they see some return of investment from enjoyment or status within the game. But then, if those people are legally adults in full capacity and able to make informed decisions, is it really anyone's business why and how they spend their money?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    Annie14, honeybun, ELLY and 1 other person like this.
  16. Epic Buttstomp

Here is the bet: will anyone pay enough ($$ and / or gems) to get a new event bird all the way to 6-stars moments after a new event starts?

To get enough prestige totems will be a huge issue for those who hatch and prestige weekly. No way to buy prestige totems yet.

17. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Of course they will

Tigerangels42038 and Annie14 like this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

I'm sure there are those who are willing, but, they may not be able due to the constraints the current monetization strategy, assuming no changes to how many deals maybe purchased. For that we just have to wait and see.
    Today's deal begs to differ -

https://imgur.com/lmlVIhY
    [​IMG]

19. Epic Buttstomp

Mr. Anderson likes this.
  20. honeybun

honeybun Super Cool Bird

... but its only 20% off!!! :eek::eek::eek::D