1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The New Player Experience.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redwing, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

So out of curiosity, I decided to start a new account today in order to see what's changed for the new player since I started playing in April last year. Three-quarters of the way through Blue Forest in 30 minutes. So here's a few things for new players that might be helpful, and some trivia the more established might find interesting, if they didn't already know ;) Feel free to add your own tips.

Tips for newbies -

Pick 5 birds and stick with them. Of the rest of the birds you gather along the way, use only what you need to level up your team and sell the rest of the 1*-2* birds. You're guaranteed to at least get the watered down 3* versions of the Core flock, anyway, so it's not like you're going to bother keeping any of your starting birds on your team. As you move into the mid-game, you'll be swapping in 4* and 5* birds, so your 3* team is really just food acting as a placeholder for the team you'll replace them with.

Major Pecker's Daily Challenge (MPDC) opens up to you much earlier in the game for you than it did for most of us. Sell your anger and rage totems. They're not worth the cost to use them on early game birds. Even late/end game (not that there is an end), the value is questionable.

When you sell your birds, consider the gold to evo exchange ratio. You'll always get more gold over time selling birds individually. However, this is a very slow way to gather evolution materials ('evo mats' or 'evo'). Combining two L1 2* or 3* birds of the same colour nets less gold, but more evo. 1* birds are just way to uneconomical to combine, either with other 1*'s or 2*-3*'s.
    Current rates are for combining like/like:
    3* Base value: Level up cost: 40 gold. Result: L17 bird. Sell value: 59 gold. Evo: 46
    2* Base value: 15 gold, 2 evo. Level up cost: 35 gold. Result L18 bird. Sell value: 41 gold. Evo: 33
    1* Base value: 8 gold, 1 evo. Level up cost: 30 gold. Result: L16 bird. Sell value: 19 gold. Evo: 15

Gems are pretty scarce outside of Event, Oinktagon (arena/pvp) and MPDC awards. The game is set up so everything costs a lot more than you recieve. Try not to get sucked in by Eagle Mountain (EM). As a new player, unless you've done exceptionally well, it's better to proceed past the pig for 20 gems and quit. I think most of us established players tend to go to 200gems maximum, unless we're on an exceptionally good streak (L70+) and have the gems to cover the cost of getting a pig or two more.

Don't waste your gems buying scout recharges. Once you've completed the campaign, it just repeats infinitely. Better birds than the ones you start with (and this includes the 3* Core Flock), are only obtained through events and hatching. There's really no need to rush it.
    Also, and more importantly, as you progress through the campaign, the pigs in scout battles get tougher. Advance too quickly, and it's entirely possible to find yourself in a situation where scout battles are unwinable. If that happens, your only too options are either pay for gems to buy hatches and evolution deals, or grind out MPDC and EM to very slowly level up to match scout battle power.

Interesting tidbits for established players

These are in no particular order.

-New players get a free hatch from the gold/silver ticket egg to get their second bird. Theoretically, this means a newbie could get a 5* very early in the game. That said - Rovio. 'Nuff said.
    /No noticable change to EM pig odds. Player experience may vary from individual to individual.
    +MPDC now available after the first mission of the yellow desert. In addition to the usual rewards, this also allows new players to fill in their enemy collection much faster.
    - 30 second ads every campaign progression point levels and during MPDC. These pop up before the rewards screen after completing the level. Not sure if this is a feature all new players get, or Rovio sample group testing. Still, it's pretty scummy since rewards aren't overly generous.
    /Thief pigs are still practicaly unkillable in the early stages of the game.
    /Collect x/y mechanic still in place to slow down early player progression and encourage purchases of scout restores.
    ?First two chapters of campaign and tutorial levels reworked. I don't remember there being a portal map with "Aim for the portal to hit the pig in the back" text on the floor on the first mission past Eagle Mountain.
    -Events locked until player reaches L10.
    -Arena locked until player L25.

-3 Star Core birds obtained via campaign progression. All unlock on the final mission of the areas they are found in. These are-
    Red - Yellow Desert.
    Terrence - Blue Forest.
    Matilda - White glacier.
    Bomb - Black Crater.
    Chuck - Haven't progressed that far yet. (I'm guessing the second run through the desert).
    So new players get one of the worst colour combos I can think of to progress through the early game, given how obstacle heavy the campaign levels get - 2 reds, a white and a black bird. At least the SS countdowns are so long, they won't feel too bad wasting Red and Terry as fence breakers :D

/Scout abilities unlock with player levels. Removal of the scouts tree means new players are unable to see what abilities their scouts have or are due to get.
    - New player inventory starts at 50 slots.
    - Descrepency between resale value of birds between accounts. My established account gets about 1-2more gold and evo from selling levelled birds than my newbie one.

Legend: /No change
    +Change announced by Rovio
    -Change not announced
    ?Unconfirmed if this is a change/announced by Rovio.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  2. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

So, are they not letting you pick one of the 5* core birds at the start as a new player? They were doing that for a while last summer? and fall from what i heard...

3. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Not any more. Maybe ticket sales dropped. I really don't like the ads, though. If that's a feature we're all going to get, Rovio really needs to have a good long hard think about making rewards good again.

4. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

im already getting a ton of quickie 5 sec pop up adds all over the game, all day long... like 50 a day minimum.

5. Platty

Platty Super Cool Bird

I only get AD if I click a box, extra arena, extra scout.

6. Rio Seven

Rio Seven Super Cool Bird

Me too. No ads. This scares me. I hope that doesn’t start happening.

7. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

the really annoying thing is that it happens most when i touch the lower middle area on my phone, so often when im shooting the middle bird or changing my team in the inventory.

8. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Same on my regular account. On the new player account, they've kept the click for ad (free hatch, extra scout, extra arena, etc...), but have added autoplay ones that popup through campaign and MPDC. First time it happened, I thought I'd inadvertently opened another app. It's really scummy, since the rewards are no different to what you get on the regular ad-free experience. I figure if they're going to force ads on players, then 5 silver tickets or 2 extra gems minimum compensation. Knowing Rovio, they'll probably try the old 'We need ads to support our game. If you buy a monthly subscription, you can play ad-free' angle.

Tigerangels42038 and Nyk like this.
  9. Tigerangels42038

Tigerangels42038 Motherflocker

They stopped that when they introduced the 3* core flock

10. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

gee, what a wonderful decision...LOL

11. ELLY

ELLY Super Cool Bird

I got 3* core birds when I started.
    But they didn't help me.
    It would be better to give a new player a 5* core bird.
    (5* Red or 5* Bomb)

12. Tigerangels42038

Before the 3*s thats what they did, any new player got a choice of any 5* core bird, but without the knowledge of what they were getting they often choose the wrong one, i saw a lot of Reds and Terences

13. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Chuck or Matilda SHOULD have been anyone's 1st choice. But brand new players had no idea yet what to do.

14. ELLY

ELLY Super Cool Bird

I started the ABE at a really bad time.
    Master Chuck event is over.
    I got 3* core birds, not 5*.
    If I had started a little earlier, I would have been a better player :(

15. Tigerangels42038

Lol be paitent Chuck will be back soon enough, you newbies get an easy enough time these days anyway. You should have started 2 years ago, that was rough lol

A. Wolf and Rio Seven like this.
  16. ELLY

ELLY Super Cool Bird

No matter when I started, I would have complained a lot! Lol

17. Rio Seven

Rio Seven Super Cool Bird

You could also hatch chuck randomly. Many of my five * star birds were not event birds, including my chuck.

18. Tigerangels42038

I though Chuck was event only?

Redwing, A. Wolf and Buds like this.
  19. Buds

Buds Motherflocker

Chuck is event only.

Redwing likes this.
  20. Greg Nixon

Greg Nixon Motherflocker

He is, all the core flock are event only, with the exception of the Elite Matilda that made an appearance in EM once.

Redwing likes this.