1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Greed....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nyk, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

The sale items have gotten so bad. I know people complain about it, but a month or so ago, the buy 2 event sales and get the third free actually gave you some energy, gems, and Evo mats. Now, wtf. The Greed is insane. There's no way I would just flat out pay $30 for three golden tickets. Who runs their business department? Legally speaking, I think it's illegal for them to falsely advertise the $19.99 as being "4x Deal" when the sale items don't even add up to $10 in value, let alone being a deal. Just saying. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen and the payout for all affected players would be huge. Screenshot_20180830-231612_AB Evolution.jpg

Cowboysfan likes this.
  2. Ceez

Ceez Tiny Birdy

Lol @ lawsuit. You should have put that first and i would have stopped reading there..

Cowboysfan likes this.
  3. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

yeah, it has been dropping in "value" every event for months... always still calling it "4x value".

But, i have not spent & will not spend a dime on this game since the first month i started playing (9 mos ago).
    Rovio has proven time & time again to not be worthy of any $$ with how they treat their customers...

Cowboysfan likes this.
  4. Epic Buttstomp

Epic Buttstomp Super Cool Bird

Energy is actually kind of unnecessary. People buy these are mostly after the golden tickets

5. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Lawsuit... Ever see how vague TOS is for most online games are these days? Pretty much nothing is guaranteed and you agree to it as part of using the service (even if you didn't read the TOS).

Also, you can't buy silver tickets, so there is really no way to directly compare their value to equivilant dollar value. Lately I've been getting more keys, gold and berries from the fancy loot chests (free and 'watch an ad' versions). A few weeks ago, the 'watch an ad' ones where almost always a silver ticket. So it could also be Rovio has adjusted the rarity of them, which then inflates their value.

Not defending what they're doing, but don't assume that their greed is based on legal stupidity. Moral intellect and customer satisfaction is another thing altogether ;)

Ceez likes this.
  6. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Actually, if your were dumb enough to buy gems, you could buy silver tickets with them (a purchase of 10 silvers costs 1350 gems)... 10 silvers would cost between $6 to $23.50 worth of gems (depending on what gem pack you bought), so there are ways to quantify "value" but its pretty ridiculous.
    They have lowered the "value" so much on the "sales" now that they literally cost almost the same as normal purchases for the stuff. So, continuing to say they are "4x the value" is just a blatant & laughable lie....
    BUT, as we all know, thats nothing new or surprising for Rovio.

7. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

True. You could take it further and say a silver ticket is 150 gems, and then work out the per gem dollar value. That does give us information to make an informed choice if what's offered meets our ideas of value for money. But it still ends up being an apples and pears argument for Rovio and other developers. And for us, well we don't really need to drill down that far just to see what's offered doesn't pass the test.

Given how rare it is to get $2.99 or even half-price sales, I figure there must still be plenty of suckers buying these deals. Hence why they keep sucking all the value out of them.

Ceez likes this.
  8. Tigerangels42038

Tigerangels42038 Super Cool Bird

The way it used to work out was if you put everything into gem value then look up the package closest to that in gem shop then it was 4x but that was a looong time ago, nowadays they stuck stuff in that isnt for sale so they can attach whatever "value" they want on to them and still claim its 4X

9. ADBjester

ADBjester Tiny Birdy

The "rack" price for gems is $5 per 250. The "rack" cost of a single silver is 150 gems. 5 silvers is therefore 750 gems. Thus you're paying $10 for 900 gems and ten anger totems. 900 gems at rack rate would be $18.00. For this package to be worth $40 (4x its $10 cost), then 10 anger totems would have to be worth $22, or $2.20 each.

I don't think so.

Jester

10. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

You actually can buy silver tickets for cash dollars directly without relying on these "deals", it's just that there's only 4 categories in the shop so they stick those in the gem section: scroll all the way to the right, you'll see a "subscription" offer that gives you a silver ticket per day each month (plus something about a bonus on other purchases), which auto-renews unless you cancel it - a service they deem to be worth $24.99 US dollars.

I don't even see the offer Nyk is complaining about, if I accidentally click on the salesbird I see a silver ticket, 100 gems and 100 energy for $0.99 as the deal they want to sell me on.

11. Tigerangels42038

Tigerangels42038 Super Cool Bird

That will be because you have never bought a package, once you buy that one then it goes into the starter deal for 6.99, if you buy that one then it goes to evolution deal for 12.99, thats outside of event though.

12. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

You're correct that I haven't (I actually can't even if I wanted to), but I've seen other previous offers with the same format during different events in the past - I just don't see that particular one now.

13. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Tiny Birdy

I will tell them they can’t do this and if they ignore us then we’ll riot.

Nyk likes this.
  14. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

I was talking about both the $10 and $20 packages being a 4x Deal. Both of those don't add up to $30 worth of items at the "rack" price. And the Goldens are free so they cannot be included in the 4x Deal. It's like a buy one get one free sale and then labeling it 4x the value for two times the items. False advertising suits have been won for much less.

15. Ceez

Ceez Tiny Birdy

You gonna pony up the cash to pay an attorney over a minor discrepancy like this? And to win exactly what? Lmao this is getting better and better

16. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

Ha. No way. This is just a game after all. But I'd love to be on the receiving end of a class - action settlement check ;)

Redwing and Ceez like this.
  17. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Yeah, but like everything else, they conflate it by making it a 'subscription package' with silver tickets and a 10% discount on all gem and gold purchases. Interestingly, they don't seem to be applying normal conversion rates. The deal in my local currency is $42.99, yet current exhange rate puts $24.99USD at $34-37 dollars depending on where you go. So any 'bonus' tends to get get lost in the expensive cost.

Yeah, Like Tigerangel said, it's the introductory offer. I've seen similar in other games - really cheap seeming, low resource bundle to get you going. Once you get through them (pretty quickly too), the next offer costs more, but gives more resources. Some games keep doing this until the deal always costs $99. You see people in the chat saying that you can buy the same offer on places like Amazon for $75 and that's somehow a better deal.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  18. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

Every once in awhile they will drop the price and give like a 1.99 and 7.99 offer. I don't mind paying the "reasonable" offers to support the developers. They may be a greedy company that enjoys screwing their players, but at the end of the day, I enjoy playing the game most of the time. So I only think it's fair to support them a little. I won't spend hundreds on this game though. When I finally get bored I don't want to regret the amount I spent.

If Rovio would put some emphasis on customer satisfaction, making offers at 0.99 and 1.99 would get me to spend wayyyyyy more in the long run than when I have to make $8 purchases. It's easy to justify a dollar regularly, but spending more than $5 is incredibly difficult to constantly justify. I could see myself spending $10 a month or more through $1 deals versus once every 3-4 months on an $8 deal.

Redwing likes this.
  19. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

For sure. I rarely even get $8 purchases offered to me in ABE, these days. Most recent one was a half-price gems for evo package. 550 gems certainly passed my value test. But 1100 gems and running the risk of not have enough to make clan contributions and being forced to buy a gem pack doesn't (mainly because of how gem intensive many parts of the game are now).

I kind of see why Devs like bigger purchase amounts, but the reality is they need to stop and think about what the consumer has to compare it to in the digital space outside their game. If they keep working on that outdated idea that only 10% of their player base will ever spend money on the game and price accordingly, who knows how many extra players might be willing to part with $1 here or there.