1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The first name change of ABE history

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WilsonTheRedBird, Apr 3, 2018.

1. WilsonTheRedBird

WilsonTheRedBird Tiny Birdy

so i was playing some abe and then i want to hatch miffy
    But when i suddenly check her info
    Her name is changed to fringy???!!
    Why is that tho
    Maybe because its too innapropiate or too boring
    Idk

2. Desert Song

Desert Song Super Cool Bird

Well I'll be! Although didn't Dutch have a different name back in the day and they changed it?

Attached Files:

3. Epic Buttstomp

Epic Buttstomp Super Cool Bird

4. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

What confuses me is that they didn’t change H.M.A’s “Harley Quin” evolution or both of Cold Turkey’s evolutions if copyright is the reason they changed Miffy’s name.

Also why Fringy? It’s a awful choice for a cute-ish rabbit bird hybrid. I think that “Molly” seems like a small but decent change for Miffy.

5. Epic Buttstomp

It could be a seat of the pants decision to avoid a lawsuit. It seems they have changed all the posts in FB also, including the release notes.

6. Buds

Buds Super Cool Bird

Yes. There were multiple birds in soft-launch with different names:

Dutch was called "Arnie"
    Steve was called "Steven"

I'm guessing they were supposedly just references, until they realised they don't want to be yelled at by copyright from Arnold and SU.

7. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

Steve actually still has his old name. They just shortened it for no reason. During the CT event, it says [Wanted: Steven the Seagull]

8. Epic Buttstomp

Dutch being Arnold Schwarzenegger is very obvious if you know (I do) his character name in the original Predator movie (1987): Major Alan "Dutch" Schaefer
    Murphy is Officer Murphy in Robocop.
    Steve is obvious as Steven Seagal.
    Claude is Jean Claude Van Damme.
    Captain Freedom is Hulk Hogan.

Who else?

9. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

Let’s see...
    Darlene is Deadpool...
    Eddie the Bird was a sponsorship so it’s pretty obvious who he was supposed to be...
    Cold Turkey might be Benjamin Franklin...
    Angry Santa is Santa Clause (or Krampus)
    Grandfather Frost I don’t know...
    NFL Star Quarterback was another sponsorship...
    Angromedon I also don’t know...
    Probotnik is based off some alien...

10. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

Since when is a single word proper name proprietary? Her full name is (was) "Miffy Harbinger of Doom", so unless that full name already exists I don't get it...

11. JBrianK

JBrianK Hatchling

Miffy is a cartoon rabbit that was clearly the inspiration for this. I am guessing the owners of miffy got upset and ask for a change. They called her fringy now as in copywriter infringement

12. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

I disagree that she was "clearly" the inspiration for this character. Lots of differences (more than similarities).
    What's next, a full overhaul of Frost's "King of Winter" evo because he has some similarities to a White Walker King from GOT?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  13. Epic Buttstomp

14. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

NFL Star Quarterback got renamed to Team Star Quarterback
    14500C61-6885-4412-937E-6FCC6D82A12A.jpeg

15. Epic Buttstomp

Agreement expired or no agreement was signed.

I hope the arrangement with Iron Maiden was real or Eddie will become Mr Skeleton soon.

16. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Considering one of the two evolutions still literally has the "NFL" logo on a cape and all of the individual team names/colors/emblems are still present, I'm guessing that particular change wasn't actually made for legal reasons.

17. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

It could be that they are only concerned about the "names" & not any visual infringements?

18. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

Which is why Cold Turkey still has his obviously parodied evolutions

19. It'SaBiRd

It'SaBiRd Tiny Birdy

Cold Turkey might be Benjamin Franklin... <-- The Joker/Wario
    Grandfather Frost I don’t know... <--- Night King/some Russian president, possibly Boris
    Angromedon & Dr Pro <-- reference to the movie Mars Attack

20. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Frost's two evolutions are the King of the White walkers from Game of Thrones, or "Meme Vladimir Putin" (which is why he is shirtless).