1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terms of Service Pop-up! (GDPR info)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by QueenElsa, May 23, 2018.

1. QueenElsa

QueenElsa Most Best Staff Member

Hey! Seen a few people a bit confused by this so thought a nice lil forum thread would help some of you out! The pop-up is there to make sure your aware of out ToS, nothing more nothing less. The only main addition is that we made it even clearer that we do not tolerate hacking and abuse of other players. These terms were agreed to by proxy before, the pop-up is just in case you missed it, and was required by GDPR compliance. Here is some MORE handy info, in case that's what you're in to!

General Info
    What is GDPR?
    The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a regulation by which data protection is strengthened for all individuals within the European Union (EU) and all consumers of EU companies, such as Rovio. It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU. The GDPR aims primarily to give more control to citizens and residents over their personal data.

Is GDPR Applicable to me?
    Yes it is! As we at Rovio have our HQ in Finland, within the EU, every single one of our players is covered by GDPR. This is good news for you as our player, as you now have more control over the personal data that we have about you. Any personal data we have about you is your data, and therefore it makes absolute sense that you have control over what we do with it.

What is actually different for me now compared to before these changes due to GDPR?
    The interesting things in relation to our players are covered in a nutshell by the four main areas below:

Firstly, to play our games you have to opt in to our Terms of Service. These have been updated a little, with our main focus on bringing clarity to what is acceptable behaviour in our games.

Secondly, you now have right to request a “data summary” from us. You can do this ingame, and upon request, we’ll start putting together a summary of the data that we have about you.

Thirdly, you have the right to request “data erasure”, which means you’ll be able to request that we delete any personally identifiable information that we have about you. Once this is requested ingame, there will be a two week grace period to change your mind before we permanently delete you personally identifiable information. As a consequence of taking this course of action, please remember that you lose all your game progress, including purchases.

Finally, you will be able to opt out of targeted adverts. This can also be done ingame. In doing so, you will no longer receive in-game personalised offers, which may be based on your playing activity.

Why do we need your data?
    The reason that we need to collect data is to ensure that we can provide you with the best possible gameplay experience based on how you play the game.

For the Player
    Why do I now need to opt in to your Terms of Service before I can play?
    The Terms of Service cover your rights and obligations as a player. They include our code of conduct so that we can provide a safe playing experience for everyone.

How can I delete my player data?
    The way to delete your player data if you wish to do so is always via the game you are playing. To do so, just open whatever game you wish to delete you data for and select “Player Rights” from here select “Request your personal data to be removed”. Once this process has begun, there will be a two week grace period during which you can change your mind. During this period you will not be able to play the game.

Can I just send Rovio an email to ask for my data to be deleted?
    Actually, for ease of identification, the process requires that you contact us from within your game. If you have already deleted the game, please reinstall it to make the data deletion request. If for some reason this is impossible, then please contact us via email to start the identification process.

How do I get my progress back if I delete my data?
    Unfortunately, once your personal data is gone, it’s gone for good.

Will you delete all my game data?
    We will delete all personally identifiable data except data which we are required by law to keep, such as purchase receipts and player support correspondence. Any data which in no way can be identified as belonging to you may be kept.

Where can I get my data summary from and what’s in it?
    You can request a data summary ingame. Within it you will find a summary of the data that we have about you.

I can’t find an answer to my question here, what now?
    If you can’t find an FAQ on the question that you had, please do submit a request by using the link below.

Cowboysfan likes this.
  2. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Moderator

I like how you can delete your data for privacy now. But can you explain why the Chuck event ends earlier than usual and starts later than usual?

Lenaj76 likes this.
  3. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Moderator

Also PLEASE make the music event like the all stars event where you can get any of the featured birds without having to unlock the,.

4. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

all stars event?

5. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Moderator

There was a event where prob, Rooster, and freedom all were hatchable for the weekend. You didn’t need to unlock them as they were all available.

6. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Must have been before I started in early Dec...

7. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Moderator

I have a new question out of curiousity. How do you “change your mind” once you have requested to delete your data?

8. Little Bird

Little Bird Hatchling

I am unclear as to why the game manufacturers continue to sell the data collection as a way to improve our gaming experience. I purchased the game years ago and now they prohibit me from playing with a Terms of Service popup stating this is to enhance my game play. Can you imagine if you bought a car 3 years ago and all of a sudden it stops working because the manufacturer wants to gather more information from you. This move by ROVIO is just another shining example of how out of touch they are with reality. When I buy something I expect to own it but ROVIO believes they are the owners and we are just tenents renting the experience. Sad....vary sad.....

9. Tigerangels42038

Tigerangels42038 Super Cool Bird

It has nothing to do with Rovio, they were forced to put that in place by the EU. All companies that operate in the EU are subject to EU laws, even if they are a global company. Rovio only did what they were told to do.

10. Little Bird

Little Bird Hatchling

I agree but at the same time my version of the game has been updated, without my permission, to include new adds, pop ups and additional purchase requirements for features. ROVIO will state that I agreed to the changes by agreeing to the new user agreement but I had no choice because game play was not allowed (on something I purchased) until I agreed to the user agreement. Strong arm tactic to say the least. If they truly only had to meet the requirements then they could have just sent out the user agreement. They made these changes to increase their revenue under the guise of complying to a regulation. They did the same thing to Angry Bird Seasons years ago. That chang deleted all of the unlocked levels I had achieved and at the same time made it mandatory to purchase features I already had as an earlier version of the game. I actually contacted ROVIO on the Angry Bird Seasons incident and their response was " We are sorry but it is what it is. If you don't like it you don't have to play it. " Realy!!! I deleted that game and continued to play the original Angry Birds. Now I guess I will have to delete that game because the changes are unwanted and do nothing but interrupt the game play. I am ok with game enhansments and even sticking it to new purchasers by making what was once free now a purchase. But please oh please leave what I have downloaded alone by allowing me the option of not upgrading.

11. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Little Bird, are you referring to Angry Birds Evolution, the game this forum is for, or something else entirely? Because there was essentially zero changes made related to this terms of service pop-up message and no game features were suddenly locked behind a pay wall (I should know, since I literally can't pay money for in-app purchases due to how my Google account is managed). Also they don't charge for the game, just in-app purchases.

12. Tigerangels42038

Tigerangels42038 Super Cool Bird

You did not purchase the game, its a free download app. When you 1st downloaded it you agreed to Rovios terms and conditions. One of which would have been that you agreed to the app installing updates as required, which ALL apps have in their T&Cs. Essentially its Rovios game and by downloading the app you only acquired access to it, you dont own it, you own an account to it. Also you cant have purchased it years ago, like i said its a free app so not a purchase and has only been available since a year past last October in beta form and a year past June globally.

13. Little Bird

Little Bird Hatchling

Oops. Sorry guys. You are correct. When I did research on the user agreement this site came up. I was so frustrated with ROVIO that I didn't notice the version of AngyBirds. My complaints are on the purchased version of angry birds. (The original). Had it for many years. Sorry to those of you who miss interpreted my complaint to be tied to Angry Birds Evolution. My complaints are valid but only with regard to purchased games. Especially games purchased 6 or more years ago. Again I am sorry. Best of luck with ROVIO.