1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PvP All 5 One Color

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FyreByrd, May 15, 2018.

1. Witkacy [PL]

Witkacy [PL] Super Cool Bird

Wolf :)

With all the respect as I love most of your ideas and comments, yet simply NOT this one... I am hardly having time to paricipate in one arena (that's why I start as late as possible), and you proposing one more? Plus usual activity during events, MPDC etc. HUGE time sink, man... I cannot allow myself to WASTE that much time, sadly... Which sure I could, yet prefer to use my time more wisely to gain much more important benefits for myself, rather than just pointing my mouse, click and hit pigs... Entertaining and addictive, I admit - but that's it...

Cheers,
    W

2. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Agreed, which is why I suggested it not be as intensive as the regular arena AND that they slow down the re-spawn time of the arena(s) tickets so we cant/don't have to play it as often to be competitive.

3. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Moderator

I’m going to keep my Fringy Rainbow team since all my red birds are too weak to take on people.

This is what my Red Team would be...
    Claude (83)
    Fire Rooster (P3)
    Red (80, gold)
    Ricky (75)
    Terence (74)

A very bad team if you ask me.

4. Starman.thc

Starman.thc Super Cool Bird

I really tried to go all red this week, but was losing between 2 and 3 matches per 7 or 8 matches. One big issue I had was when I lost, I was losing the bonus amount of trophies even against teams that were NOT all red...I believe that this was unfair. I am now playing with my normal team and winning most of the time, but I THINK I got charged the bonus trophies when I lost this way as well...but I will have to pay closer attention to the trophy discrepancies before I claim this as an issue. Bottom line is that while the all red team bonus may be a nice idea in theory, it has not played out so well for me. I feel a black or white team may fare better for me as some of my high level birds' SS timers are low (red team's are all over 3).

5. Epic Buttstomp

Epic Buttstomp Super Cool Bird

Like I said elsewhere, unless Rovio INSISTS of allowing only the compliant teams to play or only allowing complaint teams to face you hence your red team will only face other red teams; otherwise it won't worth the trouble. Just bring in your killer teams as the few losses shouldn't make a dent to your trophies.

6. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

You don't necessarily need a super great red team to win consistently, but at the very least you should probably have a team that has some prestige levels (or them unlocked), and it should definitely be a team of 5-star or 4-star birds - if none of your red birds even have a 3SS timer, that means all of them are below level 80 (or at 80 and not evolved), or not even capable of getting to 80 (no 4 or 5 star bird has a super shot timer higher than 3 when fully leveled up). The bonus health and damage help, but not that much.

As for the trophy question, if you lose a match when not using a red team and lose 69 trophies, then yes, the additional penalty is applying no matter what; for obvious reasons I don't really want to test whether or not that is happening (highly unlikely to just happen naturally since I'm deliberately running all red birds and my normal team, for all intents and purposes, does not ever lose (all of my trophy penalties in recent memory prior to these team gimmick weeks have been from the game crashing on the victory screen, which is beyond infuriating)).

7. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

So, as a funny aside...
    I have been running 5 unleveled 1* red birds on auto because I am intentionally dropping out of the top league this week & I want to get far enough back so that I can still win a bunch of 2x keys on Sunday.. The funny part is that I am actually winning about 1 out of 10 battles with a team that has less then 1k power (no, not against other weak teams). The reason is the buffed health up heart that makes it really hard to loose in the Arena now days & the pig health apparently drops somewhat according to your teams health. Even when I am loosing I expected to loose in 1 turn but it still takes several to kill me...

8. Starman.thc

Starman.thc Super Cool Bird

FYI
    My red team is:
    claude Lvl P8
    Claude lvl 40
    Geraldine lvl 60 (has a 2 SS...forgot this since she is my first shot so I don't typically get to her SS)
    Claude lvl P5
    Claude lvl P5,
    So I DO have high enough level birds...just the wrong ones for THIS challenge...

9. FyreByrd

FyreByrd Tiny Birdy

I see about one all Red team in ten PvP plays. Gonna run all Red till rules change. Even though I reserve certain rights. To express thoughts.

10. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

I'm beginning to notice fewer as well. Presumably, people are switching back to their main teams due to frustration over how long a Red team takes...

11. Desert Song

Desert Song Super Cool Bird

I am one of the few who is loving this week! My team:

Rooster (inferno Kick), Ricky (Blast), Santa, Claude, Rooster (Hillbilly)

Typical play:
    1. Claude for billiard shot
    2. Santa for billiard shot
    3. Rooster hits a pig somewhat near the First Aid, picks it up healing you to full, and killing most pigs
    4. Rooster again because a second First Aid has dropped - same as step 3
    5. If you make it this far, Ricky to finish off

Rooster is really the key. So far he is the only Red bird I have found that can pick up power ups within a decent range. The Inferno Kick is the better evolution for this.

12. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Ricky "can" collect power ups without needing to literally land exactly on them while hitting a pig, but that relies on the blizzard stopping at a point where the power up is within the AoE range, which is almost totally unreliable; the range is also not nearly as good as Rooster's Inferno Kick (which is just ridiculously big). Fire Rooster is absolutely the superior option - honestly I'd contend that you shouldn't even bother trying to field a full red bird team unless you have 1 or more of him in your collection, I wish I had a 2nd one, my week would have been sooooooo much easier than it has been.

13. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

That's the problem though, a lot of players don't have Rooster. Making an event that essentially relies on 1 bird is pretty lame...

14. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Oh definitely, it's not that it's impossible or that there are no alternatives, they're just much worse and bound to be frustration inducing - as much as I dread next week being "use 5 yellow birds now!", it won't be nearly as bad if that turns out to be the case; some people (who do quite well at PvP) already use a team with 5 yellow birds on it.

I'd never seen an all-red team before prior to this week.

15. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Yeah, Yellow, White & Black (in that order) wont be too bad but it still alienates a lot of players that just don't have enough decent birds yet.

I think Rovio choosing Red as the first color to do this with was a colossal mistake since it's probably the worst color to try to run arena with.
    And, if they make this an ongoing regular rotation, then they have fundamentally changed the game for the worse (no surprise considering the source). It somewhat negates a lot of work we have done to field a great mixed Arena team.

16. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

The best part is that one of the game loss screens you get when using the all-red team (because the game explicitly told you to do that to get a trophy bonus) explicitly suggests not running an all-red team. That one made me chuckle a bit, albeit angrily.

I'm less concerned about color restrictions for bonuses alienating players who don't have as many options yet, because participation is optional, and because I'm cynical enough to conclude that they would almost certainly lose regardless (almost everyone does now with 50 player leagues, we've exchanged 12 "losing" spots for 45).

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  17. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

True, but you would also loose some Keys which is how we get Gold.
    And, it's another example of essentially catering to the extremophiles who do not need it to be any easier than it already is for them to win top 5 spots.
    Basically it makes the strong stronger & the normal players get screwed a bit more than before...

18. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Not sure I follow regarding the keys, acquiring those is just a function of playing and winning PvP and if anything, not following a weekly gimmick that would require you to field birds that probably aren't ready to be used for that purpose in favor of using your main team sounds like the more reliable path to victory in individual matches (which gets you keys). The fact that you're probably still going to lose the weekly bracket because a crazy person who values sleep way less than you do is also getting +10 trophies per victory doesn't negatively impact the number of keys you get, it just puts all but the most obsessive out of the running for winning prestige totems.

Even with those, technically you can just hatch them, and they're part of pretty much all events and MPDC, so it isn't like you actually have to place in the top 5 spots each week or be doomed to never advance your team again, it's just waaaaay slower going that way (mitigated by how lucky you are, to an extent).

19. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

While I do appreciate that they are attempting to mix things up a bit with the 5 color teams & other combos, I don't understand why they are making such drastic changes from 1 week to the next? Last week (Yellow) was pitifully weak.
    This is the first week that there is actually enough incentive with an all color (Black) team to bother doing it (now that the bugs are fixed). Previous attempts did not buff the team enough to make it usable. A 100% buff feels about right compared to the previous 20% which was a joke. The +10 trophies is nice as well if you can field a team that works, unlike the Red week which took forever to win & made it not worth using all Reds.

My big complaint is that they just have no clue about how the weekly changes will actually work out since they clearly do not play the game changes first to find bugs & figure out if it will work as they hope it will. Making changes that double or triple how long it takes to play is unacceptable (whether or not it is optional)...

Lastly, I would love to see the changes only affect the Color DAY rather than an entire week. That would at least give the newer players a little bit more of a fighting chance & break up the monotony.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  20. kiwiloganalt

kiwiloganalt Tiny Birdy

I don't want to face the team that I most commonly die to this week, my 12.5k power vs chuck/black ss1 +4 Carson all at like p7