1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerfed rewards & trophies during Miffy event?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by A. Wolf, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Gildan

Gildan Tiny Birdy

Not necessarily - pay attention to the number of trophies listed for your opponent as the match loads, compared to the number you have: you can play the same team in a row 3 times and get 3 different results each time because those numbers for 1 or both of you have changed with each subsequent match. If I get paired up with someone who has exactly 200+ more trophies than me, winning nets me the maximum +59 (before clan buffs). If I queue up again and they are my opponent the next match, and their trophy count has not also gone up, there's now a difference of 130ish trophies, so winning would net me more than 25 but less than 59.

When you add other match ups into the mix between repeats of the same team, it's even easier to get different numbers each time - I can't calculate exactly how many trophies I should expect when I see an opponent with a trophy count within the +/- 200 range of my own (it's certainly possible mind you, I'm just not that quick at mental math and also I don't actually care enough to try), but it's absolutely never a surprise whether it should be less or more than 25, you can see that by comparing the numbers on the load screen.

2. Tigerangels42038

Tigerangels42038 Tiny Birdy

Ive had that, the only thing i could come up with is that they save multiple snapshots of the team and trophy level at that time and store it for the AI to use, so depending on the snapshot of the team it uses it will have a different trophy amount, if that makes sense?
    Total shot in the dark, could be cimpletely wrong, its just what i thought if when it happened to me

3. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

I get the concept but the fact that my win trophies were 19, 40 & 10 (in that order against the same team) within just a few min is what's odd to me. If they ramped up or down consistently it would make sense but it was so all over the place....

4. Gildan

Gildan Tiny Birdy

Welcome to life as a statistical outlier - there are players who don't even realize matches CAN reward substantially less/more than 25 trophies per round, because they've never gone past the dead middle of the bell curve. Winning 6 matches in a row and increasing your total trophies by 90 is not particularly fun, but then you'll have the reverse and increase it by 384, and that's great (the numbers with no clan perks running would be 60 and 354 respectively). Those are of course extremes, but wild variance is the new normal the higher above the median you push your PvP score each week.

5. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Tiny Birdy

I once got 59

6. dosetsu

dosetsu Tiny Birdy

I feel like you're trolling at this point.

If the matchmaking is -200/+200 trophies and you and your opponent are actively playing at the same time, then the variance you're seeing is because the both of you are winning or losing despite battling each other over and over. It's honestly that simple.

7. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

Trolling?
    I started the thread because I had never seen less than 25 before. It is a valid discussion & you are welcome to ignore it if it bothers you...

Anyway, based on what was said about +200 or -200 differential, it should not be possible for there to be an approximate 300 point swing in 1min or so. Which was the time between getting 40 then 10 the very next immediate battle with that same team. No one can gain or loose 150 points in 1-2 battles, let alone 2 teams having that happen at the exact same time.
    Regardless, it is what it is at this point, I'm just frustrated with such inconsistencies from Rovio...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  8. Gildan

Gildan Tiny Birdy

This statement is factually correct, but also probably missing the point because people can, and indeed, frequently do, gain/lose 65 to 130 points in 1-2 battles (65 trophies per match is the maximum possible award if the clan trophy perk is maxed).

As for the rate that happens, many players hit the fast forward button and let the AI play out PvP matches, which speeds things up considerably; even if you don't (I don't myself, except by accident), if you're not playing the game in fits and starts while doing something else and just focusing on playing a match out, the average PvP game ends in roughly 40 seconds, on the 3rd shot (I was curious so I timed it). None of these things you describe seem implausible or even unusual.

9. Tigerangels42038

On a random tangent, but which way does everyone here play pvp? A few pvp game here and there or solidly through all 6 then come back an hour later? I just wondered after reading that bit, which way was the game more commonly played lol.
    Personally i play the blocks of 6 since you cant see game chat (if its working that is) from pvp screen :)

10. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

I actually wish they would make fewer pvp battles so we would not feel like we have to run them as often (more like the scouts). Maybe 20min between tickets instead of 10?

11. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

Well, now that I have run about 60+ arenas this new week, I am averaging low to mid 20's for trophies with each win (about 10 lower than before Miffy). I have not had a single win give me lees than 20 or more than 30 in these 60+ wins (even though several were close to 200 + or - differential).

So, this brings me back to wondering what was going on the last 2 weeks when the trophies were seemingly so all over the map between 10-59.
    No need to rehash all the mathematical formulas & ranking differentials, I get the concepts but it is simply NOT consistent at all...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  12. Gildan

Gildan Tiny Birdy

Well it is day 1 of the new league, but that being said I'm already to the point where most of my matches are for the absolute minimum/maximum - how many trophies do you currently have?

13. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

9450ish.
    But I have been matched with a few over & below 100 differential which was generating a much different reward average before.

14. Gildan

Gildan Tiny Birdy

Yeah, that makes sense then - you're approaching the upper end of the curve, but still a couple thousand points behind the extreme outliers (highest score I found posted among the top 10 clans on the PvP ladder was 11.3k), so you get the odd trophy gap in one direction or the other, but not quite to the point where that's what you expect to see every time, while matches where the numbers are the same are the rarity.

15. kiwiloganalt

kiwiloganalt Tiny Birdy

What makes no sense is that you guys seem to have so varying battles but I know win = 27+-2, loss =14+-2, like 1 time I saw a -25 but otherwise I always get this, consistently 1st for leage and fighting opponents in next leage up, any idea why this pattern is emerging?

16. Gildan

Gildan Tiny Birdy

You got the base figures slightly off, but I can explain that pattern, sure: If you and your opponent in the Arena have exactly the same # of trophies as each other, winning or losing will net you +/-25 trophies. If you are in a clan that has the trophy perk running, the total for winning will be modified by +2 to +6 additional trophies, depending on the perk level.

When your opponent has less or more trophies than you do though, the number for winning or losing shifts up or down, capped at a +200/-200 trophy difference - beating someone who has 200 or more trophies than you do rewards the maximum possible +59 trophies, losing to them penalizes you -10 trophies, and vice versa for an opponent who has 200 or more trophies less than you do. Differences anywhere within that +200/-200 range are why you get varying amounts of trophies for wins and loses, and in your case the trend appears to be that when you lose in PvP, it's to opponents who had more trophies than you did; that is why you see those numbers in the ranges you do.

What this thread is about is how PvP opponents are actually selected, and why certain players see more extreme variance in trophy counts from match to match - what I've concluded is that the game is randomly rolling against a table that has everyone with a "similar" score on it (exact ranges for that the game considers "similar" unknown, but differences of multiple thousands of points are possible), and the increasing variance as the week goes on for players who PvP like crazy is a result of there being less and less entries on that table, which makes the odds of any given opponent having a roughly similar # of trophies diminish (whereas it is literally 100% odds that the numbers will line up perfectly at the beginning of a league, because everyone in it has the trophy count reset to the starting total for that tier).

17. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

He is in a low level tier. That's why the lack of differential yet...

18. Gildan

Gildan Tiny Birdy

It can still happen in lower tiers, just very infrequently (same reason you sometimes get a match with a player showing 7,000 trophies when you have 9kish - technically they're within the range the game will roll against, and you just got (un)lucky to get that result).

19. Tigerangels42038

Lower tiered players dont lose as much as they win as well dont they? If i remember rightly (my memory might be off, it was ages ago and i wasnt in low tiers long i jumped straight to champions, didnt know to just win league by a little) you typically won 25 but only lost 12 until you got further up the tiers where it was evened out at win 25 lose 25, so that could also contribute to the lack of differential in losses?

20. Gildan

Gildan Tiny Birdy

You're remembering it that way because when you'd lose it was to players who had more trophies than you, there's no actual adjustment to the amount of trophies you win or lose based on the tier you are in; the fact that team power and trophy count do not necessarily go hand in hand is a large part of why so many newer players complain about PvP (and for justified reasons).