1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nerfed rewards & trophies during Miffy event?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by A. Wolf, Mar 29, 2018.

1. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

So, we can all see that the rewards are less for the Miffy event compared to the last few (even though it's a longer event).

But, after now playing about 35 arenas this morning, I am consistently receiving significantly fewer trophies than I was before Miffy event started.
    I am in the Champions League which had been giving an average of about 34 trophies per win since the update. Today I have been only averaging about 23 per win. I have even had several in the 13-16 range & only 2 in the 30's. Most have been between 20-25. I don't think I have EVER got lower than 25 in this league before. What's the deal?

I would not care if I knew for sure that all players were averaging the same trophy rewards per win but the 2 player that were barely ahead of me when I started this morning have both rocketed up the chart by about 1500 more than me while I was playing (in about 4 hours). In other words, I increased about 800 during those 35 wins over 4 hours & both the other players increased about 2200-2300. We had all been moving at the same pace prior to today...

Anyone else seeing this issue?

2. Gatorops

Gatorops Super Cool Bird

Sounds like some funny stuff going on with those two players.

3. Tigerangels42038

Tigerangels42038 Super Cool Bird

Ive been averaging 25 but thats with my +4 clan trophy bonus, had been 29 before

4. Wintermute

Wintermute Tiny Birdy

I posted this in another section but here goes -
    So when you are in top tier clan you can have scouts running every 45 minutes, some of those missions give you Arena tickers, and scouts also find occasional PvP which always seem to give 25 trophies plus clan trophy bonus, clan trophy bonus of +6 trophies per PvP fight. Also if you are generating enough gems, you can burn additional gems to kick the scouts awake for more PvP potential... So you can play PvP almost non stop instead of once an hour, but then there is the whole having a life thing kicks in...
    Enjoy in Moderation!

5. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

I am well aware of all that but it does not explain why I am suddenly receiving significantly fewer trophies.

It is certainly possible that those 2 players went crazy using tickets or gems at the exact same time (I also played several from scouts during that time period). But even so, if they were averaging the same reduced # of trophies as I did, they would be much closer to me...

6. Starman.thc

Starman.thc Tiny Birdy

Not entirely sure why you would be consistently seeing more than 25 trophies per fight...I consistently see between 22 and 26 (not including clan buff), and I am also in the champions league. Occasionally I will see a 30+ reward, but that is the exception, not the rule. Maybe this is why I will sometimes fall further behind the competition than I expect.

7. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

Not counting the clan bonus, normally (every since the update) I was getting 25 about half the time & 30's-40's the rest of the time. Never below 25 though. I was averaging 20K-23K total per week which was usually 1st or second place.

I have a couple times though seen players total 46K-49K which should be impossible without stupidly pumping a bunch of cash into a pretty nominal reward difference for 1st place over 2nd or 3rd. I had assumed that everyone in a given league would average close to the same trophies per win (not counting clan bonus). I am now wondering if week to week different players will average vastly different trophy amounts? Although that still would not explain why it just started for me today.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  8. dosetsu

dosetsu Tiny Birdy

Matchmaking is -200/+200, meaning if your opponent is 200 lower than your trophy score you will receive 10 trophies and the opposite happens on the other end of the spectrum in which you can get 59 if your opponent is 200 trophies higher than you. So you can get lucky or unlucky with the matchmaking.

9. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

That may be true but it does not explain why I have never received less than 25 before today (since the update over a month ago)? The odds of that based on your explanation are literally impossible.

10. Wintermute

Wintermute Tiny Birdy

Okay, here is a sample of my PvP run just now - consecutive back to back fights.
    25 (scout), 33, 32, 30, 29, 34, 32, 63, 28
    11692 trophies

11. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

Yeah, that looks about like what I would expect & was getting before today...

12. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Yes and no - Dosetu's explanation is 100% correct, that is how the game calculates trophy rewards/penalties, we can easily verify that information because we're shown trophy counts during match load screens. PvP matches generated from scouts ignore that and reward a flat 25 (though it can be boosted by clan perks).

Why that might come up all the time or almost not at all is down to how the game finds opponents for you in the first place, and THAT is the bit where the math is all behind the scenes; unless the developers have published the formulas somewhere, we don't know for sure how that process works, but we can make some logical guesses based on observations. Essentially, PvP matchmaking is pulling possible opponents for you from a set of "the X closest players" to your trophy count, and that set itself is bound by "a difference in trophies of Y". What numbers the game actually uses for how many possible opponents to randomly select against and how large of a difference in trophies to consider are unclear (I've seen differences of as much as +/-3,000), but we can tell that it must be doing that.

Put simply, matchmaking is a kind of Bell Curve - if you have roughly the median amount of trophies that most other players in your league do, your opponents will mostly have the same or slightly less/more trophies than you and so the rewards for victory/penalties for losses will be roughly 25 for every match, because the majority of possible opponents the game can select are within the range that it's programmed TO select from. The further away from average you get though, the smaller the pool of available nearby opponents becomes and the greater variation in the number of trophies your opponents have becomes.

I had, as I started typing this, 22,996 trophies - my last 5 matches rewarded me with 10 trophies (modified by the clan buff to 15) because I had 200+ more than the players I was matched against. The match I just played while I was typing this up rewarded 57 (modified to 62). I've had stretches where every match was rewarding 59 trophies (+5), but most of the time it's a mix of those two extremes - what hardly ever happens as the week goes in is getting 25 per match: pull far enough away from the median and you get pitted against a smaller and smaller set of opponents (you start seeing the same few people a lot, I see the same players often enough to recognize when their teams change (or when they must have just been doing the MPDC because they suddenly have a Tiffany in the lineup)) and the odds of any of them having exactly as many trophies as you is less and less likely.

It sounds like you've just been unlucky with the match-making so far this week, but that's happening to you because you're deviating away from the middle of the pack, so the reverse is bound to happen as well.

13. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

That all makes sense BUT again it does not explain why I have NEVER received less than 25 before today (since the update over a month ago)? Nor does it explain why it just started for me today & not at the beginning of the week. I am always in the top 3 so it should not be varied so much just today...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  14. Beaky Hatcher

Beaky Hatcher Hatchling

Just my opinion, but when there are more active players, it seems that the trophies behave the way you are seeing because there are more people within your range. I too am getting less trophies earlier in the week, but the harder I play, the more I end up going up against "players" (read AI's) that have more than me. Once I broke 16k trophies, it greatly improved (this morning). The scores seem to generally get better and better through the week. In my last set of free tickets, I ended up with 3 that scored over 50 trophies....yesterday, it was a whole lot of 20's and less.....so hang in there. I am not sure it's nerfed - I think it's just a function of how many people are now playing because of the Miffy event. My 2 cents....take it with a grain of salt LOL :)

15. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

That makes the most sense so far but's its just so weird to me that I have never hit less than 25 before today & now a bunch of times. The odds of that seem impossible based on what you guys are saying. I guess I was just lucky before?

Cowboysfan and Beaky Hatcher like this.
  16. Beaky Hatcher

Beaky Hatcher Hatchling

I think your observations are 100% valid because I have been noticing this behavior for a few weeks actually. I can't explain it but it didn't just start this week - I had the same exact thing happen to me last week. By Sunday, I was consistently averaging 30ish trophies before the clan perk. A crap ton of people are playing right now so I really do believe it has something to do with that. Only time will tell......Rovio is notorious for changing up the logic, so it's entirely possible they are jacking with us LOL :)

17. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

Yeah, and like I said before, if it's the same average for everyone it does not matter at all but that does not seem to be the case.

Also, with the event rewards being reduced this time I thought maybe Rovio just decided to change things again to try & get more $ out of people.

18. Beaky Hatcher

Beaky Hatcher Hatchling

ANYTHING to get more money.....we all know Rovio is in a world of hurt right now. EDIT to my earlier post - i just had a run of sh*tty trophy scores again (16-20 before perk)......go figure!!!!

19. Riedgu

Riedgu Guest

People will be spending time with family during Easter. So there is reduction from 780 daily points for personal ticket to 630 daily points

20. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

So, today they matched me with the same team 3 out of 4 fights within 5min. My win trophies were 19, 40 & 10.
    How does that work with the matchup theory? Shouldn't they all have been below or above 25?