1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could, which layout would you blacklist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Redwing, Dec 2, 2018.

?

Kill this one with fire, scatter its ashes and salt the earth it lands on please -

1. Gates of Hell

24 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Three Post Leader Blocker

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Crazy Carts

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Two Rocks in the Middle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other, please describe below.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Layouts -
    Gates of Hell - 2 totems with forcefields inbetween either side of 2 large gates located just in the 2nd 1/4 of the field on your team's side.
    Three Post Leader Blocker (TPLB) - 3 totems in a triangular layout. The closest one is right in front of you leader when your team deploys to the field.
    Crazy Carts - A figure 8 arrangement with 2 carts running around it in opposite directions. Not a hard layout, however the carts can cause all sorts of problems with the pigs.
    Two Rocks - Basically two rocks set slightly off-center to each other near the middle of the field. Tends to block a lot of supershots.
    Other - Any other layout you hate. Doesn't have to be an event one if you have one in game that annoys you more.

After much thought, I'd go with Three Post Leader Blocker. Yeah, Gates of Hell sucks, but TPLB is just a badly designed layout for the fact that 2/3's of your leader's frontal arc is effectively denied to you.

Epic Buttstomp, Nyk and Kimo like this.
  2. Kimo

Kimo Tiny Birdy

I chose Gates of Hell just because of, not only the difficulty of opening the gates in a timely fashion but, also the amount of area the gates block off when they're opened. That and the force fields.

For TPLB I've been using my right side birds to bounce the pigs that are being blocked by the totem to move to the right side of the map so that the leader isn't rendered useless. In the Thanksgiving event it was kind of a non-issue since I had Hot Grease as my leader.

3. Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson Tiny Birdy

Gates of hell.

Hate it. Like really really hate it, i eventually beat it but it made me yell more than one obscenity lol

Kimo likes this.
  4. Epic Buttstomp

Epic Buttstomp Super Cool Bird

Gate of Hell is the worst, you can and will be completely stuck even if you can get the gate to open. 3-Pillars you can use White or Black on the left side if the event allows. I have Master Claude behind the post before and you just have to time things right if you can.

I happen to have screen shot of these in our clan FB page, posting them here to remind others what are we talking about here:

Gate of Hell
    The one below is my son (Hog Wild) level 83 of this Red Excavation. That medium pig on the right bottom will prevent the trick shot that hit all 4 posts in 1st move. Even if gate is opened the fields of fire are seriously restricted especially for red color SS.
    [​IMG]

Three Posts Leader Blocker (aka 3-pillars)
    [​IMG]

5. Luigi

Luigi Hatchling

Gateway of Hell, especially when you have 2 or 3 red birds in your team. You need them to open the gate but then those same birds can close the gate again by accident.

6. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

You can put a white or black bird in the leader position of the 3 posts layout... its no where nearly as bad as gates of hell.

Kimo likes this.
  7. Buds

Buds Super Cool Bird

Gate of hell.
    Stuck on level 80 completely because of this.

Three pillars' only downfall is that a big pig could get stuck on the top right, preventing red birds' bounce onto other pigs, so Stun Beast and Contagious Claude would be rendered useless.

8. Hasansjr

Hasansjr Hatchling

Definitely and absolutely gates oh hell especially in this event. I didn't lose any level in this event up till 84 when i met those freakin gates of hell.
    Couldn't finish the event ;(

9. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

well, luckily they are only in Red color events, which are somewhat harder to begin with since most Red birds are not great & cant shoot over or around obstacles. Imagine how hard other color events would have been with similar gates.

Redwing likes this.
  10. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

What I find most annoying about the gates is that if you reactivate the totems, they close the gate again. I can deal with the gates once I open them, but closing them again pisses me off.

I voted for the leader blocker because I just dont care for that the most. Gates sucks, but leader blocker is slightly worse.

11. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

i see it the other way around, precisely because that gate can be closed again. Just doing away with that one aspect would vastly improve the playability.

Redwing likes this.
  12. Angry Dude

Angry Dude Hatchling

Gates of Hell.
    Hell , I've played the Level 83 of Red Excavation close to 50 times now and am just stuck in there like hell. It sucks great time.

13. Starman.thc

Starman.thc Super Cool Bird

Definitely gates of hell, however, 3 pillars is a very close second...not only because the Leader is blocked, but the tendency of the big guys getting hung up in the back or side where they don’t bounce around. Another drawback is clusters of pigs in the higher levels in the corner...it is almost impossible to hit or stun pigs that are literally on top of each other. When they are on top of each other they don’t damage each other when bouncing around, and I typically can only hit one of the pigs that are stacked.

Redwing likes this.
  14. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Yeah, definitely a close call between GoH and TPLB/3-Pill. Both have some serious design flaws that result in them being frustrating rather than challenging. GoH is at least solvable with the right pig spawn combo. I've only ever had the fat pig blocking 4th pillar version, so never cracked it first go. I see on FB that some lucky folks get a version where the fat pig spwans elsewhere on the board, enabling a first shot opening.

I didn't make it past L79 this event because of 3-Pill and me needing red-bird leader boost. Wave 7 and either pigs were hiding behind it while thier counters ticked and all I had was my red leader on SS, or they were doing the pig impersonation of matryoshka dolls. Seriously, at one point I had three pigs stacked into each other. Even birds like Beast: Disintergation couldn't stun the ones inside the larger pigs (though he was able to split them up). I also found that if a pig is too close to a pillar, the game can glitch and show a KO for your red bird but registers the hit on the post instead.

15. Starman.thc

I could not get past wave 2 of lvl84...3 pillars. Even if I am able to delay hits, the little guys beat me down to a point where I am unable to recover or survive any longer....and I was at 148k. If I was lucky enough to get to wave 2, I am unable to restore enough health to take any more hits, and of course the layout prevents me from hitting anything of consequence. Not to mention the SS hitting the posts, or having only one bird on my team capable of collecting health power ups...

16. Greg Nixon

Greg Nixon Super Cool Bird

The gates and three post layout are also found in white and black excavation events. They are both long running layouts. Matter of fact while they are easier to open in the other color events, they are also easier to close.

Attached Files:

17. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

So what happens if you manage to activate all 3 pillars in the same turn?

18. Greg Nixon

Greg Nixon Super Cool Bird

On the white and black board activating all the pillars on the 3 pillar one just turns off the barrier wall. The gate layout for those is the same, hit or supershot to the side post to open the gate. These excavation layouts are actually the oldest and most repetitive layouts in the game.

19. Starman.thc

I believe they blow up the tnt piles in the corners...ridiculously unnecessary...

20. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

So basically, the 3 pillars might do something that's only relevant to the first wave and, given how pigs spawn, essentially useless anyway? How very Rovio...