1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot Grease - which evolution?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by feffe, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Epic Buttstomp

Epic Buttstomp Super Cool Bird

All times are Eastern Standard Time where I am located. UDT/GMT -5.
    Some of us find starting not on the Sunday rollover time of 7pm. Wait til at least Monday afternoon or even later to start. Try to start in afternoon my time also as hopefully the Asians are sleeping by then. It seems consistently you can get into top 5 by doing just the 5 hrs and whatever videos. Usually by the weekend you can tell who are competing and who are not. I am more than content if I can stay in top 5 by the end of the arena week.

2. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

i think they could actually do something in the arenas now to make them slightly more skill based, even if it takes an extra turn or 2...
    Now that we play 6x fewer matches a little extra time wont seem as brutal, especially if it feels like you have more control over wins & losses.
    HOWEVER, 5 hours is dumb... it should be at least 7-8 hours/entries so no one has to feel like missing sleep is necessary to compete.

The thing that killed the arena was the addition of the runes & team "power increase" (visual only) that increases the Pig heath & attack power.

3. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

And that's why I've begun removing all my runes from my arena team. The only birds that get runes now are event only birds that need evey hit point they can get so I can complete each event.

Also, FWIW, whoever said make hot grease your leader for the weird bird boost, thank you! Chuck is now a lot more useful to me.

4. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

I think that was me? At least I've been telling all my clan that...LOL

5. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

in case anyone wants to see her at P10, SS10. Granted i put 4 green runes on, so its slightly skewed.

Attached Files:

feffe and Epic Buttstomp like this.
  6. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

Holy crap! Most red birds don't even put out that much damage!

7. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

yeah, only red ones

8. Kimo

Kimo Tiny Birdy

Having Hot Grease as leader will also help for Tier 15 of the Level Up Challenge in MPDC.

As far as the very well thought out conversations that you guys are talking about, I would just like to give a little insight. I've been involved in a number of roll-outs in enterprise situations of the last 20 years. The sheer amount of resources required to do something like that is hard to quantify. There have to be the test group(s) who, in my experience, don't want to be the test group(s). Now they have to do their regular work as well as be guinea pigs for a new system and provide feedback for something that most people don't want. On top of that, the configuration of disparate devices, time zones, different languages as well as cultures in the workplace as well as (possibly) countries has to be factored in as well.

After a certain amount of testing, as incomplete as it always was, there was a CEO telling me to 'just pull the trigger'. Deal with the fallout and get on with business.

I don't really see how Rovio could possibly do a complete test on any roll-out with the relatively small amount of resources they have available to them. Also, since they are a public company, they answer to the shareholders and their expectations. The wants of the people who are playing the games are secondary to the wants of the people who are supplying your paycheck.

9. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Thats all true but also a bit counter-intuitive or shortsighted to do business in a way that clearly repulses your customers & treats them like idiots. I could stomach the lack of proper testing if they fixed all the issues in a timely manner, admit them & at least pretend to care.
    Also, a small "we're sorry" mass compensation like they used to do would cost them nothing & go a LONG way toward costumer satisfaction & loyalty...

Kimo likes this.
  10. Kimo

Kimo Tiny Birdy

Player compensation costs them nothing. It's all just bits anyway and I think it would go a long way towards establishing good will with the community. My former CEO taught me some valuable lessons in customer satisfaction. He showed me the example of trying to hold water in your hand. Hold your had open and you can hold some water. Squeeze your hand into a fist and all the water runs out of the sides. Some people don't see the value in this.

What I was trying to point out was that 'Counter-Intuitive' for you may not be what is being discussed in a board room. People who are invested in a company want their quarterly results (ROI). They complain that they don't have another boat/plane/car and then there's a mad scramble to try to find a solution for them. Players complain on the boards/FB/etc and it falls largely on deaf ears. Rovio is in the middle of two groups with largely different desires. Sadly they are using the closed fist method for us, the players.

The speed in which they are rolling out updates coupled with the small staff that can actually do QA testing seems to me to be an impossible task. Their help desk/support team is so small that people on this board are referring to them by first name. I can't imagine that they have a dedicated staff of support just for ABE. They are probably dealing with all the Rovio games. To actually get a response is pretty amazing in my experience.

11. Tigerangels42038

Tigerangels42038 Super Cool Bird

Nothing can be tested 100% there is always going to be bugs & glitches in any game you play, what makes ABE players take it personally is the responses & treatment they get from customer service. So much of the anger and misgivings of players could be helped, if not fixed, if customer service wasnt as hostile as it is. Gamers are a lot more forgiving if your not constantly blaming them and insulting their intelligence.

That is Rovios biggest problem, everything went downhill after its share prices dropped dramatically, they began scrambling to try and increase profits in as quick a time as possible leading them to go down the road of short term solution, long term problems, which they just cant seem to get out of.

Kimo likes this.
  12. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

I see the points you are trying to make, but I'm not sure I entirely agree with them 100%. Rovio hired a group of Nokia execs to run their business and turn a profit... but wait, what's a Nokia? Isn't it that the thing people played Snake on back in 1995? Its hard to remember what they were famous for since their business collapsed due to executive mismanagement. The excuses can only go so far. You do bring up a bunch of great points though.

Very well put. I spent 3 weeks fighting with customer service to get what was rightfully mine. They threw every excuse at me that they possibly could including blaming myself. I got so mad that I even posted the conversation here on the forums. They went back and forth with me for weeks and refused to compensate me. So they lost my business permanently. I won't spend another dime on this game. The next response I got after telling them I was done was "Here's your keys back." Whelp, too little too late. Simple acknowledgement that they had an issue was all I wanted, but instead it cost them a customer. And to compound the issue, they wasted all that time responding back to my messages. Not only could they have saved time by sincerely apologizing, they could have INCREASED their revenue by admitting their mistake. Numerous studies in psychology show that customer service can make or break a company based on its quality. You'd think a bunch of big wigs would understand it, but thats why Nokia failed as a company, an inability to relate to their customers.

I learned a long time ago that its not always just telling people what to do, but gaining buy-in and support. Customer service is critical to this aspect of business. You can rollout the best idea in the world, but if no one wants it, it will fail and people will go out of their way to sabotage it. Long story short, gamers aren't stupid, in fact, arguably the opposite.

If you really want to get into business theory, Rovio desires to become the next Disney. Statements from corporate and their strategic planning meetings reinforce this. But one thing they failed to realize is that Disney doesn't sell movies, games, tickets to theme parks, etc. They sell an experience. Rovio is not focused on their core product which is the experience, they are focused on the dollar bills. Getting back to the basics will solve this, but if they don't do it soon, they will get to a tipping point where they will never recover. They are cutting so many expenses at the cost of customer experience that they are in a downward spiral not dissimilar to what plagued Sears and RIM (Blackberry), and even Nokia.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Kimo likes this.
  13. Kimo

Kimo Tiny Birdy

I agree. One of the problems I see is that, while you or I may be civil in our requests for help/support, most of the complaints that I see, especially on the FB page/Flockers page are not helpful to a tech. I, as a tech person, try to provide as much information as possible to come to some type of solution. The comments I read are "fix x problem", "give me more x", "make this game easier" etc. without much assistance for the tech to actually be able to resolve the issue.

If I had to go through that a few hundred times a day I imagine that I would be pretty jaded and try to deal with the easiest or quickest solutions to requests.

BTW, I am not trying in any way to justify Rovio's support practices. Just trying to give some experience of what companies that are stuck between stockholders and customers may have to go through. I don't work for Rovio but I've seen the mess it is internally when trying to get out from under seemingly impossible odds.

14. Kimo

Kimo Tiny Birdy

Yeah, this is definetly the best conversation that I've seen since joining this forum. :) You guys would be great in a business meeting.

15. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

I did say the thought of Rovio making any game changes makes me fearful ;) A rather crass phrase regarding organising certain activiites in a brothel springs to mind when it comes to Rovio, game balance and working game mechanic.

Definitely. The old system also had the buffer that you could often reverse a loss in one match, if your opponent had significantly more trophies than you. Now, you need 2 wins to offset every loss. I think it's intended to offset any free gems you might win. I noticed this week, with 25 tickets, I lost a lot more than I did in previous weeks. Pig scaling aside, there seems to be other FU mechanics in arena. I find it strange that I can lead with the same opening shot on the same layouts and, without any external interfence, sometimes I'll end up with more pigs on my side of the board. And then there is the fact that runes and master birds have skewed the advantage even more to the AI going second...

16. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

Yep. They just broke EM today too. This is the final straw for me. If they don't reverse this by Sunday's rollover I'm deleting the app and won't look back.

17. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

And just when I was thinking changing my forum avatar to something a little less angry... Nope, Big Bird flipping them the bird is still how I feel about Rovio and their treatment of this game.

18. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

I'm about to leave in January for 9 months on work and for 3 of those months I won't have internet access. It's not that I want to quit, but I truly have more important things to stress about than a video game. Plus incompetence pisses me off and Rovio is the embodiment of it.

Redwing likes this.
  19. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Yeah, I hear you there. Come January, I hit the home stretch with my degree, so video games will be low on my list of priorities. Especially ones that expect unreasonable time and monetary commitment. I'm happy to play Tetris if that's the only game that's free2play and casual enough to be a stress release.

20. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

What degree are you working on? I just finished my Master's in July. When I first started working on it, the only game I had time to play was the occassionally round of Ms. Pacman on the Upright in my living room and a few rounds of Black Knight 2000 on Pinball Arcade on my phone. Then I discovered this game and it all went to crap lol.