1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carson Event

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Annie14, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

Most of us on the forums have been saying the same thing for months. Greed is always the downfall of a company.

2. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

They don't even need to do that. The nightmare levels seem to be a rework of the old MPDC waves, so all they need to do is tweak the pig values to make it harder to progress through the levels. Which is what they seem to have done between Matilda and Lucha events. I got a lot further with my regular team than I usually do, which leads me to think that they toned things down for L51-70.
    I take it you mean level layout is randomised with every attempt when you say 'all random'. The downside to this approach is you might get a harder layout on reattempt. Case in point, my L80 last event. All I needed to do to pass it was swap Lucha Libre to the 2nd left position on the team to maximize damage, since there were a few waves where pigs were clustered on the left side of the field. If it randomised every entry, making team adjustments would be of less strategical importance. Of course the upside is that kind of randomness opens up the possibility of lucky breaks evening out bad levels. Really depends on what your preference is.

Consistency is probably the option that would make the most number of players happy. If everyone got the same layouts, it reduces the issue of luck and makes it more about skill.

3. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Still, it doesn't skew things that much. Even if the peak number of actively playing accounts was 1 million, it still fits with the trend for games to have such huge movements in numbers. Probably more so these days with developers pushing monetized beta releases over finished games. That then ties into the greed and gouging later down the track. If the game is still bleeding players, despite changes in approach and content release, it won't be profitable. 500k players is more than enough to make a profit and keep the game viable, so long as they can stop the bleeding. However, the way Rovio approaches things, it seems their business model is based around 500 whales spending money on the game.

4. Greg Nixon

Greg Nixon Super Cool Bird

The perceived greed is but a by product of the real issues... lack of business acumen and being out of touch with the consumer base. All these avenues of communication as a prime example, their Discord Channels, their Facebook pages, this forum... while we as the community of players excel at assisting one another, they largely remain quiet, therefore we feel they don't care. They release patch notes that dangle the shiny carrot, but then change 10 other things in the same release at will without any of those changes being in the notes, therefore we feel they have it out for us. They tweak rewards on the fly, making the items necessary to progress harder to come by without doling out money, therefore we feel they are greedy. Supply and demand is a basic principle of both business strategy and economics, and those are where the issues truly lay... they unfortunately don't have the business nor economic sense that is afforded to a student in a level 101 course. They fail to see that they suffer losses because they drive the players away with all the unannounced changes and perceptions we develop because there is no communication from them. If they would simply loop us in, do a bit better at quality control, a lot better at customer service, and perhaps make us feel like the time, money, and effort we put in is appreciated they could get their books back in the black, earnings might start small but over time they would grow.

5. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

They definitely have a tin ear for their customers. There's nothing they do that appeals to whales or minnows or anyone in between. If you base your business model around whales, then you need to sell power and status. If it's the rest, then stack high, sell low is a proven strategy that snares even the smallest spenders. ABE has none of this. Even the greediest of other games I've encountered at least give their biggest spenders the equivalent of a special hat to display in game.

6. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Which is what the Master Birds COULD have been as only 5-6% can attain them. So making them now available by essentially luck or $$ really hurts that concept of EARNING something by long time play & team building.

7. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

The master birds were a step in the right direction. They just needed to rework their deals to be more appealing. Seriously, who wants totems when it's very difficult to amass resources required to get said master bird to competitive viability?

8. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

I think you meant "who wants totems when their recent xp change rendered them 100% useless for anything besides selling" . It's funny because the totems now remind me of the "nuggets" in Pokémon that you could sell for $5000 poke dollars. Completely useless for all purposes besides gold. They are so shortsighted it's incredible.

They revamped the daily rewards interface and made the rewards entirely different for each completion (e.g. hatching an egg or doing MPDC). The old MPDC reward was the only one with a SS totem as the reward. ~3 weeks later they introduced the new MPDC and then changed the daily rewards to the relatively poor valued berries. Why didn't they think about that prior to release? It wouldn't have been an issue except that they gave us a great reward (SS Totem) and then killed it when everyone was happy. It's just incredible the shortsighted-ness.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  9. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Yes though, given the conversation is based in the current state of the game, it's not really neccessary. Really, the only time you 'buy' totems for their gold value is when exchanging gems for evo offers. Even the event offers, I think most people look at the amount of silver tickets first. Apart from maybe a few oddballs out there, nobody else spends money to get totems.

I've come to the conclusion that the change back to 8 daily challenges was to force people to play arena. Two of the conditions are linked to arena - play 3 oinktagon battles and enter any dungeon. Wild PVP battles don't count and dungeons don't pop up frequently enough in scout missions to be a reliable alternative. So, if you really want that silver ticket, you have to play arena once a day between events. Which in turn screws the enter the leagues late strategy....

As for the offers, you'd think if they were going to nerf rage totems to be worse than 2* birds for anything up to L60 (and useless beyond that), a little light bulb would have gone off over somebody's head with the realisation that this makes the deal less attractive to buyers. I wonder when they'll get around to fully reworking their offers to be inline with game changes.

10. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Or just give us gold instead of rage & anger... But im sure we get way more selling them than they would ever give us.

Tigerangels42038 and Redwing like this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

I'm sure they're keeping them in there so they have at least 3 items to shave the numbers off to give us our "40-80% off" deals. Any less and more players might notice how small the deals have gotten. Like last event with 3 silver tickets in the first deal...

12. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

I think you slightly misunderstood what I said. Jm saying that now, any totem in game is only useful as an item to sell for Gold, and has therefore nullified their "purpose" as boosted XP items.

The totems used to be semi-worth buying, and then only in a bundle, until the recent xp change. Now, they are essentially worthless. The rage totem is now absolutely terrible.

13. Gatorops

Gatorops Super Cool Bird

The strange thing for me is that they make things useless.
    Chrystal heart. Unnecessary
    Fourth egg. useless
    Angry Totem. Useless
    Rage totem. Useless
    Leveling shines up to level 51 not as good as before.

14. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

Care to elaborate on Fourth egg? What is it and how's it useless (beside the fact that I have no idea what it is)

15. It'SaBiRd

It'SaBiRd Tiny Birdy

my hatchery started off at x25, anyone else? x25.jpg

16. Epic Buttstomp

Epic Buttstomp Super Cool Bird

BLACK FORCEFIELD. That will be messy for some teams.
    Yes it does start at 25x. Maybe that is the way to stop us from complaining about hatching the 4-stars Carson. Reset back to 1x as soon as Carson showed up on my 17th.

17. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Yes, they were good, especially on double xp days - even new 5* birds would shoot straight to L20. The theory I'm running with is that Rovio has left them in the bundles to conceal how much value they're cutting. From the past few deals, I'm convinced that '40% off' means 40% less in Rovio speak ;)

18. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Same here. If the first bird is still 4* Carson, it's not going to help much. Maybe Rovio thought this would be some kind of consolation for the dick move they pulled with this event.

Edit - Up to x26, 2 clints, 2 Jasmines, Eddie, Helmut, Hank and 4* Carson. Did this with silver tickets to, since golden tickets give a gauranteed 4*.

19. It'SaBiRd

It'SaBiRd Tiny Birdy

they should have at least made it much higher like x50 or something so you have a way better chance of getting the first bird off a single ticket hatch as usually does with reg Carson in game anyway. Either way, got all 3 event birds, time to start grinding

20. Epic Buttstomp

Epic Buttstomp Super Cool Bird

Got all 3. Blew away my tickets collection. I will be in hoarding mode for weeks.
    4-stars Carson: 17th ticket
    5-stars Carson: 12x
    Master Carson: 20x

It will take me some time to sort thru 160+ birds in the inbox. Black will be saved, the rest I need evo materials.