1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Update...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nyk, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Some good suggestions regarding 5 star black birds. I certainly was hoping to get the black bird from the Soccer Stars event just past as my eventual Carson replacement. Sadly, despite exhausting my stash of gold tickets, I didn't even get the yellow bird. That highlights the inherrent problem when it comes to finding a good 5 star black birds, they're just not available outside of specific events. Even Dutch and Byron, who I assume can be got from the odd lucky hatch, are easier to acquire from EM (either cheaply or very expensively depending on your luck).

So for me, it's push on with Carson, using Xeno +30% boost to Special Forces to augment him and Birdstanio (then Murphy when he's levelled enough to replace him). Once I hit the pig scaling barrier, I'll likely swap Carson out for Claude, move Xeno to Carson's spot on the team and make Claude the leader. Even though Xeno's SS isn't fantastic in terms of range or damage, she picks up powerups and pulls pigs across the line, and sets timer pigs up for back attacks. Of course , that's assuming I don't get another 5 star black bird before then.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  2. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

But, you dont HAVE to use any black birds on your arena team long term...
    Also, very good chance Frost will be next week (or QB). He is far & away the best Blue bird & only one atm worth using eventually for Arena & events. I would highly recommend not investing much into ANY other Blue birds for your main team. They are useful for the Blue dungeon but thats about it IMO.

3. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Unfortunately, my 5 star collection overall isn't that good -
    Yellow - Chuck:TBF (P5/SS8)
    Red: Red x2 (L80 Weak Spot, L45), Claude x3 (L40, L34, L20), Terrance: Sumo Headbutt (L65), Ricky x2 (L60 Blizzard Whirl, L24)
    Blue: Bidstanio x2 (L92 Tiki Taka, L64 Boom Shot), Murphy: Strong Kill Combo (L63)
    Black: Xenoflocker: Hunter's Blast (L100)
    White: Matilda: Magnetize (P2/SS8)
    So, even though I don't need to run a black bird, apart from Chuck and Matilda, I'm lacking in birds that can grab power-ups reliably. I find in arena, being able to deny the oppostion a boost is the other half of winning the battle. I've found red birds tend to be the worst for SS that can't collect power ups. That, and they can only reliably kill one pig. I'd only consider Claude as leader simply for his healing ability. If he didn't have that, I wouldn't even think of running him.
    Blue birds are slightly better, but I find their ability can be hit and miss with powerups. Plus they pose the risk of knocking pigs to your side of the board.
    From what I've seen of the other standard white birds, their beams are pretty narrow, so they often don't deal as much damage as they could. They do collect power ups, so they kind of sit in the middle for me as not bad, but not good. Matilda is of course the exception to the rule.
    With what I have to work with, I'm kind of left with running a black bird. Even if I had a second Chuck (or Matilda), and all my birds were P10, I'm still left with one slot that gets filled with the most optimal of what's left of my 5 star birds. Which is Xenoflocker.

4. Nyk

Nyk Super Cool Bird

I find it interesting that no one talks about Ricky Red. His blizzard blast is amazing. It sucks up all the pigs it comes into contact with and does a lot of damage, and then, at the end of the SS, it explodes doing thousands of damage and collecting all the powerups in range of the explosion AOE. Everyone I've heard of goes with the "Mr. Freeze" Evo that freezes the pigs. While that Evo delays the pigs' attack a turn, it doesn't do anything to assist with pig killing or powerups (from what I remember).

In my opinion, as an arena bird, Ricky Red with Blizzard Blast is hands down the best red bird in game bar none. I use his SS to combo with Bomb's thunder dome and Ricky's SS sucks every pig into the dome and explodes. If it doesn't kill them, it traps them and prevents them from doing damage for at least one turn, a combo which essentially combines both his Evos into one. Furthermore his damage is extremely high and his SS2 makes him quite useful.

His only downside is that if the "angle of attack" for his SS is too Sharp, it could eject a sucked up pig from the blizzard. However, His explosion could still deal with that pig if it wasn't sucked up a second time. Plus his blizzards suction ability is strong enough to get at least 3-4 pigs reliably into the blizzard opening them to explosion damage. Ricky always kills the big football pig in the arena and his explosion finishes the mini-boss pigs with ease.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I personally hate hearing people say that there are no reliably effective red birds besides Claude and that's "only due to his leadership bonus". Ricky is a staple on my team and comes in handy when I need high damage on one pig, but also effects on others simultaneously. His SS saved my skin so many times until I finally got Chuck, Matilda, Carson, and Bomb. These five currently makeup my team and I have only lost two arena battles in the last month. Each are prestiged to 4+

5. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Actually that just calls into question how often you play PvP - as someone whose least developed team member is a P9, I can tell you for a fact that the scenario I described happens a non-zero amount of times just about every day. The thing about PvP though is that for all it's completely and utterly imbalanced when it comes to matchmaking, there is still a self-correcting element at work: the people who play the most each week start getting matched up with each other and pretty much no one else fairly quickly (to whit: I've been matched up against one particular player 15+ times today alone), and those are the folks with the teams most likely to win (or nearly win) even when the AI is the one driving.

6. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

I come up against players using the Elite version of Ricky all the time (presumably they're using him to fire the first shot and thus don't actually care about his super shot performance), and I can tell you that at least when the AI is driving, Ricky is almost entirely incapable of killing more than 1 pig reliably - he could kill all of them, but he's simply entirely too unpredictable. Having used him myself during the atrocious "play with 5 Red birds to get bonus trophies!" week, I can also attest that with a human doing the aiming he's only slightly better, and while he can collect power ups when the blast goes on, it's anyone's guess if he actually will because, again, he's just too unpredictable.

If you want to use a Red bird to collect power ups, for some reason, go with Fire Rooster, as he has an AoE you can actually aim and predict accurately.

7. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Well, you have 3 of the best birds in the game... Chuck, Matilda & Claude (Claude should be your leader & first shooter). With them, the other 2 COULD be almost anyone & you will be competitive. So, if I were you, I would put my work into Predigesting those 3 first. Im not telling you who you have to use, use what you got for now (like your black bird), im just offering advice on who to not bother beefing up more than you will eventually want to.
    BUT, long term you will want a few other good to great birds. Like, another Chuck or Matilda, a QB, a Frost (even Ricky isnt horrible) or some yet to be released bird...

Ceez likes this.
  8. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Also, as Gildan has pointed out... those of you who are disagreeing with those of us offering long term advice are not facing the top player's teams yet. That makes a big difference in arena & especially "pvp" from scout flags. My team is all P10 maxed out & I do actually struggle a bit more now than i ever did at the power levels you are playing with....
    Respectfully, be careful about being too cocky & thinking you know better than players who have been at this a LONG time.

9. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

I can't really speak for anyone else, but I went for Whirl as my first evolution simply because I don't really like explosion after-effects. I find them to be lacking in consistency. Apart from the AI, my only experience with red bird explosion after-effects was Magaret and Terrence: Sumo Headbutt. Both of them will pick up nearby powerups in their explosion AOE. However, the exploding pig is just as likely to end up away from them as near it is to land near them. Also their AOE is much smaller than some of the smaller black birds. So with that and the AI, I went with the evolution I thought would give me better consistency.

If I had a team that were all 'Strong' body types, I'd probably consider Ricky as leader, since his leader ability is boost strong birds +30%. But then, what's going to be better, extra damage from that, or healing from Claude?

Which kind of brings us back to the problem of no red birds except Claude. If you don't have Claude, then there are other red birds that can provide syngeries that benefit your team (Ricky boosting strong bodies, Ricky + Bomb: Thunderdome). But if you do have Claude, then he pretty much invalidates most other red birds since the other colors provide do pig grouping and powerup grabbing with better consistency. My other Ricky will eventually make it to L60 and get the Blast version. However, it's unlikely they'll make it onto my main team, since I have Claude and he doesn't provide a colour/body/style bonus and my white, yellow and black birds provide similar effects, but more consistently. Dugeon team is another story. I haven't settled on a combo for that one yet.

10. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

I get that. And you didn't come off as telling me what to use. Obviously without knowing what birds were in my stable, you can only give the best advice you can based on experience. I'm pretty much following the plan you laid out for prestiging. Claude kind of got side-lined for the events. Ideally, I'd like to ignore them, but the changes Rovio has made in the last couple of months lends me to thinking that events are going to be one of our main sources of resources. Ergo, it's probably a good idea to level up the core birds, since they're most likely to be +200%/+100% for the foreseeable future.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  11. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Yeah, Chuck & Matilda should me your first focus for sure.

12. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

You don't actually need to worry about the player duels from scouts if you don't want to, as you can game that system to give you opponents that will lose after 1 shot just from the pigs hitting them: swap our your actual team for much lower level birds you have sitting in your inventory before selecting the duel marker. The game will select an opponent based on the power level of your team as you clicked on it, but since it also gives you the option to edit your team before starting the battle, you can swap back in your actual team and win within seconds, as it doesn't re-select a new opponent for you based on the change in your teams power. It's an annoying hassle, but it works.

13. Cowboysfan

Cowboysfan Tiny Birdy

“A pain in the angry birds” lol