1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Update...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nyk, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Starman.thc

Starman.thc Super Cool Bird

I actually used to use 3 Claudes for MPDC...great way of surviving, especially before before his leader ability was fixed. I have since hatched several more, and now have 5, but I don't see leveling the last 2 too high.

Redwing likes this.
  2. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

Unless you mean "when they show up as the 2nd or 3rd event bird in another event not focused on them specifically", that's definitely not the case, they're only available when they are specifically on the list as prizes during events.

A. Wolf likes this.
  3. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Well, I guess that explains my second Red, then :) I always thought I'd hatched him outside an event. Probably confused myself seeing Bomb and Matilda as frequent EM prizes earlier this year.

4. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Yeah, I'll get there eventually, hopefully before Rovio decides that 5 gems for unlocking a picture is too generous. At which point, I'll probably feed him the other two just to get him to L100/Prestige Level. That's assuming Claude doesn't get his hatch frequency increased to become the Common Koslowski of red birds.

5. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

It used to be Claude was the only good "generic" team leader because apart from Bette (a 4-star bird) and the rockstars (whose World Famous ability is a double-edged sword), every leader ability just boosted birds of the same color, and most people don't run mono-color teams for a variety of good reasons. These days though we're tripping on alternate team leaders and they keep giving us more (every new bird since El Jefe has boosted some specific category besides color) - Claude is still quite good, but he's hardly the only game in town (and arguably not really needed since the revamped clan health perk).

Redwing likes this.
  6. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

My current team is Xenoflocker: Hunter evo as leader, Birdstanio: Tiki Taka in 2nd position (depending on the battle I'll use him or Xeno as openers), Chuck: TBF, Carson:Robot and Matilda: Magnetize. Xeno as leader just made sense since two of my birds have SF tags. Chuck and Matilda are pretty strong on their own, so don't really need much boost. Back in April and May, I definitely would have gone with Claude for his healing ability, since he really was the only option for a rainbow team, and other red birds(bar a few notable exceptions) generally are poor performers in Arena.

7. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

I would use Claude as leader & ditch Birdstanio in a heartbeat. Then replace Carson with a better 5* at some point...

8. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

At this stage, Xeno is the only 5 star Blackbird I have. No luck with Bomb events and I just can't bring myself to play more than 2 pigs deep into EM. Hence why Carson has been P8/SS8 for a while now and Xeno just hit L100 today...

9. Ceez

Ceez Tiny Birdy

Im leveling the 2nd evo so i can see what its capable of but youre right ans especially with red birds, theres no need for more than one

10. Ceez

Ceez Tiny Birdy

I see this crap all the time, get rid of Carson...why because you dont like him? I have almost every bird in the game and Carson imo is the best black bird by far and its not even close. I have both evolutions of dutch, both evos of xeno, both evos of byron, now the new soccer black bird in the healing evo and none of them come close. Carson wipes the whole floor regularly in pvp and was great in mpdc before (now it doesnt matter). With miffy as leader and the extra 45% its not even fun tbh..

I know his health is less but there isnt another black bird that is better in my opinion. You can throw all the numbers at me you want but the eye test says different. That guy destroys everything and his AOE is the best in the game

Epic Buttstomp likes this.
  11. Redwing

Redwing Super Cool Bird

Isn't to do more with pig scaling, than team health? Other than that, I tend to agree. Carson is OP for 4 star. Even comming up against all 5 star, P3 teams in arena, and it's rare for me to go past Matilda after Carson swipes all the powerups and resets the board. That might change with higher prestige levels though.

Ceez likes this.
  12. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

But, he has no reason to use a black bird at all on his main team without Fringy as leader.
    Carson ISs awesome as far as black birds go & there is nothing wrong with using him but your health suffers a bit with any 4* bird.
    And, I did not say to immediately do it... but at some point he WILL have 5 better birds.

13. Ceez

Ceez Tiny Birdy

Which 5 star black bird is better?

14. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

I never said there was a better 5* black... at all

15. Starman.thc

Starman.thc Super Cool Bird

I have become used to using Eddie the bird as my 5* black bird (he replaced Carson a while back). Not sure I would call him better than Carson, but he tends to hold his own, and of course being a 5* the health works out. I have the Xenoflocker, but have not leveled him up sufficiently to use him much yet. I also have Heavy Metal Byron up to prestige, so we will see how he works out this week I think.

16. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

I dont like Byron personally, before replacing him with a better bird I went with Eddie as well since I had him.

I will say, I am surprisingly happy with the Black Soccer birds Oni's Rage evo after leveling him last night. He is about 20% weaker than Eddie or Zain but has a 20-25% bigger AOE & his 5% Health Boost per hit pig is really nice. I wont put him on my arena team but I can see him being a help in certain events. Overall, as good or slightly better that any other Black 5* imho...

17. Gildan

Gildan Super Cool Bird

The problem with Byron is that he's totally incapable of collecting power ups, and if he upgrades the clan power ups your opponent can collect them on the next shot; if he didn't have that upgrading clause, he'd be hands down the best 5-star Black bird in the game (biggest radius and some of the best damage #s for the 2SS category, if you go with the Wide version). Heavy Metal Byron is exactly the same as regular Byron, apart from costumes and the name, by the way. Dutch is perfectly fine but slow (again, if you pick the wide version, otherwise he's slow and has the typical small radius), and all the others either did something weird (Bomb's Thunderdome, Dr. Probotnik's Mind Control) with the typical tiny radius, or they just had a tiny radius.

These two most recent Black Birds they introduced though are honestly viable contenders for arena use, but if you're looking for one that's Carson, but as a 5-star bird, you're always going to be disappointed (or at least, right now you will be, who knows what could happen in the future?), because Carson's huge mosh pit is unsurpassed as far as super shots go. Actually running Carson in the upper tiers of PvP is a thing that quite a number of people still do, to no small amount of success either, but I will never recommend anyone emulate them because those players are making it harder on themselves by doing that. Most people are probably not going to play anywhere nearly as many matches per week as those folks do, so the individual outcomes of each match will be more important - every 4-star on your team is a chunk of health you give up before the match even starts.

The AI is dumb, and the clan health power up is amazing, so most of the time it won't matter that much if parts of your team are a bit under-strength, but once your average opponent is someone with a completely maxed out team (or close to maxed out), that chunk of health you're missing becomes increasingly relevant. I've long since lost track of the number of times I survive a 2nd shot that, due to the RNG elements involved, left me with a minuscule fraction of my health bar - instead of collecting the clan health power up and clawing my way back from the brink to ultimately win the match, every single one of those scenarios would have just been a straight up loss if I had Carson on my team. He has an amazingly large blast zone, but he makes your team a glass cannon.

We tell everyone "replace Carson" because it's good advice, not because we don't like him - he'd be hands down the best Black bird in the game if he wasn't a 4-star, but he is, and as much as some people don't like to hear it, the correct number of 4-star birds you should have on your team when it is "done" is 0.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    RNGesus, Mr. Anderson and A. Wolf like this.
  18. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Motherflocker

Yup, what he said...

19. Ceez

Ceez Tiny Birdy

I disagree completely. With the lowest member in my team being a P5, i havent lost a match in pvp. Honestly if i worked for rovio id make pvp a lot harder, as it is right now its boring because theres no challenge. Maybe if you would actually be on the verge of losing everytime you played pvp the health difference of Carson might make a difference but as its set up now it makes zero difference. Never losing backs that up without question..

20. Gatorops

Gatorops Super Cool Bird

I used bomb as my black bird with chuck it is a good combination. I like dr P. I personally don’t like Eddie. I don’t have byron