1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An open letter to Rovio CEO Kati Levoranta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ADBjester, Apr 8, 2018.

1. ADBjester

ADBjester Tiny Birdy

Dear Ms. Levoranta,

You have a customer service problem at Rovio, and I wanted you to know about it, just as I would have wanted to know about such issues when I was handling customer service for a major online gambling site for many years.

When I worked in online gaming, which isn't terribly different from what Rovio does, I learned from our directors that nothing was more important than repeat revenue. We wanted gamblers to deposit, use up their funds, and re-deposit, over and over again. To that end, our support staff had the authority to offer generous real money refunds to customers who thought they'd been slighted.... even if it was clearly not the company's fault. We figured $20 here or $100 there was a small cost to keep the good will flowing and the players coming back to spend more and more.... and it worked. The company was eventually sold for several billion dollars, and remains a power player with a sterling reputation for customer service to this day.

Rovio enjoys no such reputation, and my recent experience should highlight this for you.

I'm quite literally your "perfect customer". I choose one game and tend to obsess about it for months or years. For a while it was Rock Band 3... and I purchased every DLC song available for it... several thousand dollars worth. Then it was Angry Birds 2, though I didn't purchase much there. Since public launch, it's been Angry Birds Evolution, and your marketing and conversion tactics have been quite effective. I have spent $518.64 in your game since June 16, 2017 in 46 separate purchases.

That is a number, however, that isn't going to grow larger, though. Thank "Emily" in your call center (I can't call it "customer service center") for that.

Note that while spending this money, Rovio was taking a lot of flack from other customers, accusing you of non-random, rigged games, theft, profiteering, and worse. Through it all, on your forum and in your Facebook groups, I defended you, vocally:

https://forum.angrybirds.com/threads/further-speculation-about-recent-nerfs.4440/
    https://forum.angrybirds.com/threads/chart-odds-of-reaching-event-multiplier-x.7842/
    https://forum.angrybirds.com/threads/event-points.1140/page-2#post-9318
    https://forum.angrybirds.com/threads/what-the-heck.1136/#post-9328
    https://forum.angrybirds.com/threads/tired-as-hell.1165/#post-9682
    https://forum.angrybirds.com/threads/the-red-rip-off.170/page-2#post-9687
    https://forum.angrybirds.com/threads/weighted-losses-and-hollow-victories.1369/#post-11986
    https://forum.angrybirds.com/threads/10x-bonus-and-no-5-bird.1407/page-2#post-11988

I certainly sound like the kind of customer one would want to keep, happy and satisfied, do I not?

In the exchange between Emily and I documented below, I don't know whether she is merely incompetent, or is being intentionally obtuse. It is certain that the deflection from the key request (to restore the silver tickets) was intentional. She never once said yes or no, but always either blamed me, or made excuses as to why I was incorrect.

At that online gambling site, every representative had a "floor limit" that allowed them to use their judgment and credit real money back to such people, especially for high spenders. Everyone could go as high as $50 cash, and managers like me often issued good will credits of $500 or more.

Here, silver tickets cost you *nothing* to credit. Emily could have clicked a button, restored my tickets, explained that (as I've come to understand) "events" as quoted in the release notes I cited doesn't include Major Pecker's challenge, and advised me that knowing so now, she could do this as a one-time credit, but not again, and thanked me for being a good customer.

That certainly would have worked.

Instead, she insulted my intelligence and avoided my question entirely. As such, I have canceled both my Monthly Subcription ($24.99) and my Eagle Card ($8.99/mo) won't be renewed. Additional in-game purchases will not be made. Not only did you lose my business, but Emily spent time writing back to me FOUR TIMES when one would have sufficed.

Needless to say, this is *not* how you turn around a floundering company.

Again, I am writing this in this manner because it is something I thought an executive would want to know was going on in their organization. Your customer-facing team is as important as your in-game graphics and animation... and your company is failing at it. Your representatives need to be given the authority to issue no-cost credits to good customers who aren't "repeat beggars", and need extensive re-training in customer relations -- answer the question asked, not a different one.

I wish you all the best, and hope that you can find the right person to whip your customer service department into shape from the top down.

Best Regards,

Jeff W.
    Reading, PA, USA

Riedgu likes this.
  2. ADBjester

ADBjester Tiny Birdy

upload_2018-4-7_23-14-8.png

Attached Files:

3. ADBjester

ADBjester Tiny Birdy

4. ADBjester

ADBjester Tiny Birdy

5. ADBjester

ADBjester Tiny Birdy

6. ADBjester

ADBjester Tiny Birdy

7. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

I do agree with you that they should have compensated you. BUT, she was not wrong when she told you that MPDC & monthly subscriptions do not count as events. They are supposed to be claimed manually. The screen capture you show does specifically reference EVENTS, not regular ongoing rewards.

Having sais all that, it is truly ridiculous that they don't ALL automatically carry over to your inbox. And for that matter putting a short time period in which to claim anything you earned is super lame.

Customer service is a dying art for sure & properly trained representatives is nearly unheard of anymore...

Also, Rovio does not monitor this forum at all so if you really want them to see this, you need to put it on Facebook (their new "forum" of choice).

8. ADBjester

ADBjester Tiny Birdy

It was posted to Facebook, and to forum.angrybirds.com, and was Emailed to Ms. Levoranta directly, as well as to two other key executives at Rovio. I plan to send a backup copy by snail mail as well.

I have a great anecdote about my work at that online gaming site, that resulted in a memo that set policy for a long time there. It involved Disney, and their "Be Our Guest" customer service attitude. In a nutshell, we had purchased non-expiring multi-day passes to the Magic Kingdom, but upon our next visit, couldn't find them. We had the sleeves, the receipts, everything.... except the tickets themselves. They took our word for it, and let us into the park because our story and the backing evidence/documentation was plausible -- we didn't seem like scammers, and the ticket booth agent had the authority to use her judgment and comp us tickets.

That cost them nothing, but gained them everything. Had they called us liars and told us to pay for new tickets, they risked putting us off the Mouse for a good long while. Instead, we've been back to Disney 3 times since, and this story has been shared frequently.

I wish I could find that memo I wrote for that gaming company, based on that experience. (I'll keep looking -- it was some of my best writing ever).

Jester

9. Kenv47

Kenv47 Hatchling

Rovio ain’t Disney, by a long shot!

10. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

True Dat!!!

11. Riedgu

Riedgu Guest

Post this to Reddit. ABE subreddit is dying, nonexistent. So you could post it in /r/gaming, maybe it would gain traction :)

Or post something like:

Rovio lost half of it's worth in a last year. My example clearly shows why. It should reache journalists and it would help not only you but other players also :)

12. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

The real question is why would you spend money on this game. Sure the events are fair when it comes to the multiplier but spending mo eye on this isn’t worth it. You can easily stock up tickets and gems with the help of other events and MPDC clan rewards. But I understand that Rovio customer service isn’t the best in the world, but I don’t think the CEO will see this and change her customer service sadly. Rovio is now just wanting money no matter what. So things may never change, including customer service.

13. Riedgu

Riedgu Guest

You are very bad moderator:
    1. You blame bad customer service on player and shame him for buying in-game stuff
    2. Say that posts like these are pointless, even though it is what this game needs.

Way to go. There are stuff like encouragment and support. You should learn about it

14. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

I do not work for Rovio. I was added as a mod to help stop those spam bots that come every once in a while. If you were on the forum for some time, you might of seen the "Moderators Wanted" thread. QueenElsa made me and Vexim mods to help stop bots. if you're going to call out a mod, make sure they actually work for Rovio.

15. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

Vexim said in a earlier thread directly to you that he and I don't work for Rovio.

16. Riedgu

Riedgu Guest

I know, but my message stays the same

17. A. Wolf

A. Wolf Super Cool Bird

No, forum mods have nothing to do with the producers of a game & are not compensated...
    They are allowed negative opinions if they want just like the rest of us.

18. RemixFTW

RemixFTW Forum Mod

I was trying to say that this game isn’t worth spending money on and that I think Rovio will never change their customer service sadly.

19. Riedgu

Riedgu Guest

I get your point and would agree. Just your question makes person to feel guilty and to write explanations why he spent money.

wording of your thoughts